Responsive WordPress Theme – Caliber

A theme with simple controls and limitless potential. Work fast and build an amazing website!   Find out more »

UpThemes – Beautiful WordPress Themes

Create a site your church, gallery, newspaper, blog, recipes, band and more!   See the themes »

Need a little help?  Find answers quickly by searching the forum.
Group Admins
  • andy
  • jeffw
Group Mods
  • envatosupport

Create your travel agency, lodge, club, blog or destination website the quick and easy way. The GoExplore! travel WordPress theme can manage any travel website, from a personal travel blog to a world travel guide book.

GoExplore! (WordPress)

Public Group  |  active 11 months, 4 weeks ago ago
Viewing post 1 to 9 (9 total posts)

Can we create a child theme without using Runway?

• jeffw

said

Absolutely you can!

There are just a couple of extra steps in addition to the standard WordPress procedure…

– Copy the ‘assets’ folder from the GoExplore! parent folder to the child folder.
         – Make a ‘data’ folder in the child folder and copy the ‘data/pages’ folder from the GoExplore! theme into the child theme’s ‘data’ folder.

I’m pretty sure that’s it. Let me know if you have any problems with this.

Note that child themes will have their own home page settings and theme options and will begin life with default settings.
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Creating a GoExplore! child theme

Here’s the complete procedure for creating a GoExplore! child theme…

1. Give the child theme a name

Inside the ‘wp-content/themes‘ folder create a new folder with your child theme name. For example, we will call ours ‘dora‘.

2. Add a style sheet

Create a file inside the ‘dora‘ folder named ‘style.css‘ with the following content…

/*
    Theme Name: Dora
    Description: Child of GoExplore! theme by Parallelus
    Author: Your Name
    Template: parallelus-go-explore
    Version: 1.0
    Tags: one-column two-columns three-columns left-sidebar right-sidebar fixed-layout fluid-layout responsive-layout buddypress custom-menu editor-style featured-images flexible-header full-width-template sticky-post theme-options threaded-comments translation-ready
    */

3. Enqueue the parent theme style sheet

Create a file inside the ‘dora‘ folder named ‘functions.php‘ with the following content…

<?php
    function theme_enqueue_styles() {
      wp_enqueue_style( 'parent-style', get_template_directory_uri() . '/style.css' );
    }
    add_action( 'wp_enqueue_scripts', 'theme_enqueue_styles' );
    ?>

(No need to enqueue any child theme stylesheets because this is already handled in the parent theme’s ‘functions.php’ file.)

4. Copy the assets

Copy the entire ‘assets‘ folder from the ‘parallelus-go-explore‘ parent theme folder into the new ‘dora‘ child theme folder.

IMPORTANT → When you update the parent theme, remember to also update the ‘assets‘ folder in the child theme, i.e. copy that folder across again from the parent theme folder to the child theme folder, overwriting the old ‘assets‘ folder.

5. Copy the data settings

In the ‘dora‘ child theme folder make a new folder named ‘data’ and copy the ‘data/pages‘ folder from the GoExplore! parent theme folder into the child theme’s ‘data‘ folder.

IMPORTANT → When you update the parent theme, remember to also update the ‘data/pages‘ folder in the child theme, i.e. copy the ‘data/pages‘ folder across again from the parent theme folder into the child theme’s ‘data‘ folder, overwriting the old ‘pages‘ folder.

6. Activate and setup the child theme

Go to Appearance > Themes and activate the Dora theme.

Next, go to Appearance > Menus > Theme Locations and make sure the menu options are set to the correct menus.

NOTE → Your child theme has its own settings, e.g. Dora > Home Page and Dora > Theme Options. Your child theme will begin with default settings, it will not inherit the parent theme’s settings.

References:
    https://developer.wordpress.org/themes/advanced-topics/child-themes/

• t0m3

said

Thanks! it works like a charm..

• nateno

said

Hi, I followed the above steps but unfortunately the header area dissapeared… The layout is now like this: https://gyazo.com/242529e21fb8d6963c95699de25bf877

My css file in the child theme is as follows:

/*
    Theme Name: Child1
    Theme URI: http://wordpress.org/
    Description: Child Theme for Go Explore!
    Author: Nathan
    Author URI: http://mysite.net/
    Template: parallelus-go-explore
    Version: 0.1
    */

@import url(“../parallelus-go-explore/style.css”);

furthermore I copied the assets and data folder

• tartangreek

said

On point 3. Create a function.php

Cant we just use the one from the current theme? make a copy and drag it in?

It seems to have all teh settings and I have added a bit about yoast and canonical links from another thread.

• jeffw

said

You can’t use the ‘functions.php’ file from the parent theme, you must create a new one as described in the step-by-step tutorial above.

If you want to know why, read this → http://codex.wordpress.org/Child_Themes Look under the ‘Using functions.php’ heading.

• cityguide

said

running in the same problem ! is it so hard to deliver an useable child theme file ? any theme i bought in evanto last 4 years had a child includet ?!

Viewing post 1 to 9 (9 total posts)
Topic tags: Child theme