Responsive WordPress Theme – Caliber

A theme with simple controls and limitless potential. Work fast and build an amazing website!   Find out more »

UpThemes – Beautiful WordPress Themes

Create a site your church, gallery, newspaper, blog, recipes, band and more!   See the themes »

Need a little help?  Find answers quickly by searching the forum.
Group Admins
  • jeffw
  • andy

Support for: Mingle – Multi-purpose WordPress Theme

Mingle (WordPress)

Public Group  |  active 5 days, 11 hours ago ago
Viewing post 1 to 15 (19 total posts)

Alignment problem slideshow when zooming out in Firefox

• haarbol

said

Hi,

I have a weird problem where the slideshow seems to be jumping to the right when zooming out using CTRL-(minus).
    Is there anything you guys can see that could cause this? I’ve been playing around in the design menu’s but haven’t found the cause yet and i don’t have the css or scripting skills to debug this, unfortunately :(

This is the URL:
    http://www.theaterschoolalmere.nl/site (press CTRL – “-”)

Thanks!
    Lucas.

• jeffw

said

Hi, haarbol.

This is a browser specific problem by the looks of it. On my Mac in Safari and Chrome zooming out on your home page isn’t a problem, but in Firefox zooming out makes the slideshow jump to the right. However, this doesn’t happen on your Community page, which also has a slideshow on it.

I think this problem may be related to the fact that on your home page you have two “current menu item” tabs highlighted (Home and Community), which I think is happening because your home page also seems to be designated as your community/login page (In the Community menu the login item is highlighted as being the current page).

Do you have any idea why this is happening?

• haarbol

said

Thank you Jeff, these are some very good pointers, especially the fact that it’s not happening on the Community page. I did not notice that yet.

I don’t know anymore what i made to make the community-tab appear, but i do remember the moment and thinking “ah, that is actually working quite well”, so it must be a setting i can revert through the Design Settings menu.

I’ll post back the results!

- Lucas.

• haarbol

said

The ‘login’ / ‘logout’ widget was pointing to /site, which is the homepage, so when i changed that to /site/community, the extra tab disappeared, as you can see on the site now.

The jumping bug is still there, unfortunately.

• jeffw

said

Yes, I’ve just checked a couple of my Mingle sites and the same ‘slideshow jumping to the right’ thing is happening, but only in Firefox.

Please leave it with me and I will investigate it further unless @steveholland or @andy have any immediate ideas about this.

Just to confirm that it is not version specific, the same thing happens in Firefox 9.01 and 11.0b2.

• jeffw

said

Hi, haarbol. Add #MainMenu .inner-2 { height: 34px; } to your Custom CSS. This fixed the problem for me.

• haarbol

said

Hey Jeffw,

It sort of worked!
    As in, it only happens now when you press CTRL minus at least four times, so it’s less likely to happen at least.

• jeffw

said

It’s going to be a math rounding problem particular to the way Firefox scales web pages. In that style that I posted above, if you increase the height to 35px then this may also fix the problem press Ctrl-minus four times.

• haarbol

said

It’s fixed when i change it to 38 (37 is still happening at the last zooming option), but then the ‘active’ tab is not ‘connected’ to the slideshow anymore and the text is positioned too high in relation to the width of the menu bar.

What i don’t understand is that for some reason for instance the slideshow on the ThemeForest page is not acting up over here in Firefox – wouldn’t that mean that there is a solution in which i can keep the same menu-bar settings?

• jeffw

said

Yes, well spotted. Please leave it wiith me and I will look into it. The solution I have given you here is the only one that came to mind quickly and I can’t think of any reason why your slideshow is scaling that way in Firefox (as is mine).

• haarbol

said

Ok, no problem. I really appreciate you looking into it, and until then this is a great temp solution :-)

• jeffw

said

OK, here’s an update of where I have got to looking into this. From a fresh installation of both WP and Mingle I have created a home page slideshow using two 990px x 300px images. At this stage the top navigtation menus are defined but neither of them actually has any menu items in them. Result: slideshow works fine and zooming out in Firefox is not a problem.

But…..

I then create one menu item for Home and give it the homepage URL. This produces a single “current menu item” tab in the left-hand navigation menu. Result: zooming out in Firefox makes the slideshow jump to the right.

What I would like please is for someone to repeat this process and tell us if the bug is reproducible. If it is, then I hope @andy will be able to address this issue as soon as time permits.

I have determined that what is pushing the slideshow to the right is the left nav bar container when it has a “current menu item” tab in it. I think I am right about that, but if someone reading this knows differently please speak up. :)

• haarbol

said

Is it possible to lose the (solved) tag on this topic?

• haarbol

said

Any updates on this? Is there anyone besides Jeffw who can reproduce this?

Viewing post 1 to 15 (19 total posts)