Responsive WordPress Theme – Caliber

A theme with simple controls and limitless potential. Work fast and build an amazing website!   Find out more »

UpThemes – Beautiful WordPress Themes

Create a site your church, gallery, newspaper, blog, recipes, band and more!   See the themes »

Need a little help?  Find answers quickly by searching the forum.
Group Admins
  • jeffw
  • andy

Support for: Mingle – Multi-purpose WordPress Theme

Mingle (WordPress)

Public Group  |  active 7 months ago ago
Viewing post 1 to 7 (7 total posts)

(solved) Sidebar Image Gallery

• CrystalSC

said

Hello. I’m trying to figure out what would be the best practice for setting up an image gallery in the sidebar such as on the video portfolio page in the demo. http://para.llel.us/themes/mingle-wp/portfolio/video-portfolio/

I do understand how this was achieved in the demo. When I created a child page and set the featured image, it appeared in my sidebar gallery as it should. However, I have 22 images that I would like to have in a random sidebar gallery. I really don’t want to create 22 pages just to set up featured images.

So, is there an easier way to achieve my goal? Can you perhaps use the image ID in the library in place of the category?

Thanks for any tips or advice.

• andy

said

The gallery shortcode would make it easier because you can directly reference the image ID’s in the WP Media area, however I don’t believe it offers a “random” option as my portfolio shortcode does.

• CrystalSC

said

Thanks for your reply.

I’m sorry I don’t know how to do that. None of the gallery shortcodes in the demo reference image IDs, only page & category. Would it be something like:
    [portfolio post_type="page" page_id="613,614"]

Should I rename “page” and page_id to something else?

ETA:
    Ah, I found a starter in the WP Codex.
    This is making the gallery appear in my sidebar:
    [gallery image_ratio="1:1" columns="3" size="thumbnail" include="613,614"]

Though I had to adjust the size of my thumbnails under media, which I presume will adjust any thumbnails on my site. :(

But I do have a couple more questions if you could please help.
    1) Is there a way to minimize the vertical spacing? They are awfully spread out down the page.
    2) The white border around my images seems to be thicker than in your demo. Is there a way to adjust that?
    3) Most importantly, how do I make the gallery images open in the theme lightbox?

Thank you.
    Here’s where my sidebar gallery is: http://thenewdeep.com/fan-art/videos/buffyangel-videos/

• andy

said

This is from the demo site:

[gallery columns="4" include="1186,1187,1188,1189,1190,1191,1192,1193,1194,1195,1196,1197,1198,1199,1200,1201" link="file"]

http://codex.wordpress.org/Gallery_Shortcode

The gallery shortcode is a WordPress defalut does not accept the same parameters as the portfolio shortcode which I created for the theme. You’ll have to reference the WP Codex for the settings (things like image_ratio="1:1" won’t work)

You don’t have to worry about the “thumbnail” size issue. The theme doesn’t use those preset WP image size settings. They’re configured for convenience (and so WP doesn’t squawk at me for not doing it) but the images for all areas of the site such as blogs, portfolio, image shortcodes, etc. are generated dynamically as needed. They still use the internal WP image resize functions but not the preset WP image sizes (thumbnail, medium, large, full). Considering you have the option to set the image size for almost every area of the site and have the be different for each and every instance of the blog, portfolio, etc. it would not be practical to keep a custom image size or use this native WP size naming method. You’re safe there. Set the thumbnail size to anything you need. (turn that frown upside down :) )

1. You can alter the spacing with some Custom CSS like what is below in your “Default Design Settings

.gallery dl.gallery-item {
        margin-top: 0 !important;
        margin-bottom: 0.5em !important;
    }

2. Thicker? It shouldn’t be. Did you edit any styles or CSS? If you want to change it you can follow the same method as described above but with this code:

.gallery dl.gallery-item .gallery-icon a {
        padding: 3px;
    }

3. Add the parameter link="file" to your shortcode. This is shown in the example copied from the demo site above.

• CrystalSC

said

I could just kiss you. Thank you. You’re amazing. :) (<- frown officially turned upside down!)

• andy

said

Ha! I’m glad it worked.

I almost didn’t say the “frown upside down” comment because it’s tough to convey tone in these forums and I was worried you might think I was be snakry rather than my intended jokingly playful tone ;)

• CrystalSC

said

No worries. I’m not one to get easily bent out of shape with things like that. ;)

Viewing post 1 to 7 (7 total posts)