Responsive WordPress Theme – Caliber

A theme with simple controls and limitless potential. Work fast and build an amazing website!   Find out more »

UpThemes – Beautiful WordPress Themes

Create a site your church, gallery, newspaper, blog, recipes, band and more!   See the themes »

Need a little help?  Find answers quickly by searching the forum.
Group Admins
  • jeffw
  • andy

Support for: Mingle – Multi-purpose WordPress Theme

Mingle (WordPress)

Public Group  |  active 7 months ago ago
Viewing post 1 to 15 (26 total posts)

How to change the top graphics for each individual page

• dan-harvinder

said

Hi, i would like to know how to change the top graphics for each individual page.

I have created a few top graphics that i would like to use, and i have created different page headers to use them with. The problem is i don’t want a showcase under the top graphic, where is the option to disable the showcase area for a specific page?

(I would like to keep the showcase on the homepage long with the slideshow but not on any other page)

Thanks in advance.

• jeffw

said

To achieve this you would need to set up for each individual page a Page Header and Top Graphic, and in your individual page/post Layout Options under Custom Header you would need to select the page header you have set up for that individual page.

• drmodule

said

hi jeffw i too would like to achieve this but could you run through the steps ie. 1, go to pages create a page 2, create page header. and so on as i am a complete newbie to wordpress and this mingle theme. any such help i would be much gratefull for.

• dan-harvinder

said

@jeffw, i have created a new top graphic for my “contact us page” and i have chose that top graphic under the new page header i have created in the “primary content” drop down menu and this is the result i get:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/685/screenshot20120221at122x.png/

However i want to remove the showcase from beneath the top graphic, but it seems to appear on the page even though the showcase content box is empty in the settings.

Thanks

• jeffw

said

Hi, dan-harvinder and drmodule, I will do my absolute best to try to find some time to write a step-by-step for you.

• dan-harvinder

said

Hi jeffw, a step by step guide would be nice, however i just need a quick fix as i am somewhat familiar with WordPress now and the “Design Settings” but still cannot get this to work.

Thanks

• jeffw

said

I think in your Page Header you need to select ‘No container’ for the ‘Showcase background’ option.

• drmodule

said

Thanks jeffw appreciate it, if you come across any abc books or tuts on mingle send em my way m8 lol.
    Great theme buy the way.
    just wish my little brain could understand it. :P

• jeffw

said

Like all things, it’s just a learning curve. Once you are up the initial steep incline, it’s a stroll in the park after that. ;)

• jeffw

said

Here you go, drmodule.

1. Define a top graphic.

Firstly, design your new top graphic and upload it to your web space, or add it to the WordPress Media Library. It will be best if your top graphic is 990 pixels wide, and it can be any height you like – 100 to 150 pixels is a good height for a page header.

Appearance > Design Settings, under Top Graphics click on Add new Top Graphic. Give your top graphic a Title and enter the numbers for the Width and Height of the top graphic you designed.

Now in Background Image enter the URL of your graphic, e.g. http://www.mylittlemingle.com/wp-content/uploads/top-graphic.png

Now click Save Top Graphic.

That’s the top graphic sorted. You can come back and learn what all the other stuff is about later. If you click Override or Edit to the right of Default Top Graphic you’ll get an idea of what the Content area can be used for.

2. Define a page header.

Appearance > Design Settings, under Page Headers click on Add new Header. Give your page header a Title.

Set ‘Top sidebar’ to Header Widget Area.

Set ‘Primary content’ to be the top graphic we have just defined and saved.

Set ‘Showcase background’ to ‘No container’.

Click Save Header.

That’s the page header sorted. Again, you can come back and learn what all the other stuff is about later. If you click Override or Edit to the right of Home Page Header you’ll get an idea of what the ‘Showcase content’ area can be used for.

3. Deploy.

When you create or edit a page/post, in the Layout Options panel set Custom Header to be the page header we just defined and saved, and then click Publish / Update.

Fin, as they say in all the best foreign movies.

• hypnobliss

said

HI jeffw,
    Thanks for the detailed step by step guide.
    I want to tweak the existing ‘Blog Top Graphic’ image. Could you tell me where the existing default top graphic is located so I can manipulate it as opposed to creating a new one from scratch?
    The ones supplied with the theme (Design folder) have a straight bottom not curved. And I cant seem to find it in /assets/images or anywhere else in the file structure.

many thanks

• jeffw

said

Go to Appearance > Design Settings and under Top Graphics click the Override or Edit link to the right of Blog Top Graphic. The dimensions of the blog top graphic are set in the Width and Height boxes, the content is the code you can see in the Content box. The curve options are set in the Default Blog Header.

• drmodule

said

Super Smashing Great:
    Jeffw thanksM8, for taking the time to do this sorted me right out. “now i know.” Yay!! ;)

• hypnobliss

said

Hi Jeffw,
    Yep! That worked like a charm.
    Thanks again!

Viewing post 1 to 15 (26 total posts)