Responsive WordPress Theme – Caliber

A theme with simple controls and limitless potential. Work fast and build an amazing website!   Find out more »

UpThemes – Beautiful WordPress Themes

Create a site your church, gallery, newspaper, blog, recipes, band and more!   See the themes »

Need a little help?  Find answers quickly by searching the forum.
Group Admins
  • andy
  • jeffw
  • admin

Support for: Moxie – Responsive Theme for WordPress

Moxie

Public Group  |  active 1 week, 1 day ago ago
Viewing post 1 to 15 (15 total posts)

Disable/remove portfolio details completely on portfolio post

• vunguyen

said

Hi guys,

Is there an option somewhere for me to disable/remove the portfolio details completely on portfolio post? (I need the extra space)

Cheers!

• melisse

said

I have the same need and I hope there’s a clean solution.
    To acheive this, I’ve override the style like this :

.row-fluid .span8, .vc_row-fluid div.vc_span8, .no-layout #primary {
    width: 100% !important;
    }

But in your site if you need a sidebar on a page, you are in a bad shape.

• Steve

said

Hi @vunguyen and @melisse,

Firstly, you shouldn’t modify the theme’s files. If you do, your changes will be lost when you upgrade every so often. Making changes may also cause issues that we will be unable to provide support for.

Any custom CSS code you have develop should be placed on the Custom CSS box in Appearance > Theme Options > Custom CSS.

If you’re referring to a page like this: http://para.llel.us/themes/moxie-wp/portfolio/duis-zutem-ariure/

You can hide all of the text details (apart from the title) by placing the code below in your Custom CSS box.

body.single-portfolio #primary #content .row-fluid {
    display: none !important;
    }

• vunguyen

said

Hi Steve,

I want to hide/remove the right part of the portfolio post: Client/Date/Project Details/etc
    Simply because the parameters name like Client/Date/Project Details is really limited.

Thanks man!

• Steve

said

The follow code placed in your Custom CSS area will hide the right column and expand the left column on single portfolio item pages.

body.single-portfolio #primary #content .row-fluid .span4 {
    display: none !important;
    }
    body.single-portfolio #primary #content .row-fluid .span8 {
    width: 100% !important;
    }

• melisse

said

That’s it! thanks Steve.

concerning the good practices, is it this bad to create a new style-skin where I override (not ovewrite) some classes ?

• jeffw

said

Hi, melisse.

It’s pretty much guaranteed that as WordPress evolves then advanced themes like Moxie will need to evolve along with it. For this reason it is not a good idea to modify the core theme files because when you need to update the theme you are going to have to make your modifications again to the updated theme files.

Tweaks to CSS can be added to your Custom CSS box in Theme Options. If you feel that you need to modify CSS files consider using a custom stylesheet, if you feel that you need to modify PHP files consider creating a child theme, otherwise updating the theme may become quite difficult for you.

The following article shows you how to create your own custom stylesheet for the Moxie theme:

http://para.llel.us/support/tutorials/making-a-custom-stylesheet-skin-with-moxie/

The following article shows you how to create a Moxie child theme:

http://para.llel.us/support/tutorials/making-a-moxie-child-theme/

• melisse

said

hi andreab,
    just tested your files. They do the job nicely. Well done.
    thank you for your contribution.

• vunguyen

said

Hi guys,

andreab child theme gave me the idea. However, I have no idea how to achieve it.
    Using child theme, I want to change something in this file:
    extensions/theme-portfolio/post-type-portfolio.php
    However, even though I copy the file to the child theme folder (I even try with the exact folder structure). The change I made in the file doesn’t seem to work.

Idea?
    Cheers guys!

• andreab

said

Hi @vsync
    what you have to do is the following:
    1) install moxie-cild.zip (appearance>themes>install themes>upload
    2)activate it

All done

• jeffw

said

@vunguyen (aka vsync)

You cannot modify core theme files in a child theme. The Moxie theme will always look for its core files in its own (parent) folder.

• jeffw

said

If it were possible for you to customise core theme files in a child theme this would not protect you from the theme update issue because if a core theme file gets updated (which is what theme updates mostly do) then you would still have to update the file in your child theme and then make your modifications to it again, just as if it were in the parent theme folder.

Viewing post 1 to 15 (15 total posts)
Topic tags: disable, portfolio details, portfolio post, remove