Responsive WordPress Theme – Caliber

A theme with simple controls and limitless potential. Work fast and build an amazing website!   Find out more »

UpThemes – Beautiful WordPress Themes

Create a site your church, gallery, newspaper, blog, recipes, band and more!   See the themes »

Need a little help?  Find answers quickly by searching the forum.
Group Admins
  • andy
  • jeffw

Support for: Razor: Cutting Edge WordPress Theme

Razor

Public Group  |  active 1 year, 9 months ago ago
Viewing post 1 to 15 (17 total posts)

Ajax comment reply

• rl2013

said

Hi,

this theme is missing the ajax comment reply, hope next version you guys can include.

• andy

said

I’m not following, can you explain or be more specific? Is this related to BP, post comments, something else???

• rl2013

said

Hi andy,

I am referring post comments, current the theme will refresh page when you hit the reply link. I hope it can become ajax reply, something like bp comment reply, when you click the reply link the comment form box will drop under the replying message.

• andy

said

I don’t think that’s a default WP feature, but I’ve never looked into it. It might be something custom that other authors have added to their themes. Have you looked for a plugin that might do this for you?

• rl2013

said

Actually the default theme Twenty Twelve has this feature, I have tried custom tried include code/plugin last time in other theme, but in a mess.

• jeffw

said

@rl2013 In the Twenty Twelve theme the “Reply ↓” link is essentially an anchor tag that jumps to the comment box further down the page. It activates the comment box and places the cursor in it ready for you to type. Is this the functionality to which you are referring?

• rl2013

said

Hi jeffw,

for my wordpress default Twenty Twelve theme, when I clicked on the reply link, the comment box drop down below the single comment instead of jumping to the comment box further down the page.

This picture can explain better:
    http://i.imgur.com/KuJfH4V.jpg

• jeffw

said

Ah, yes, when you are replying to a reply I see what you mean, the comment box moves up to be under the comment to which you are replying. And the same thing happens in Twenty Eleven.

Razor uses the exact same code for that “Reply ↓” link so we’ll need to ask @andy why the addComment.moveForm() behaviour doesn’t do the same thing.

Twenty Twelve:

<a class='comment-reply-link' href='/archives/1214?replytocom=8#respond' onclick='return addComment.moveForm("comment-8", "8", "respond", "1214")'>reply</a>

Razor:

<a class='comment-reply-link' href='/archives/1214?replytocom=8#respond' onclick='return addComment.moveForm("comment-8", "8", "respond", "1214")'>Reply</a> <span>↓</span>

In Razor, when you click on a reply link a JavaScript error is generated: ReferenceError: Can't find variable: addComment

It seems to me that the required comment-reply.min.js file isn’t being loaded, however even when I forced the script to load the addComment.moveForm() behaviour still wasn’t right.

• andy

said

I don’t know. I’ll fix Razor so the error no longer happens. I’m not currently planning on changing the behavior to mimic the TwentyTwelve comment form.

• rl2013

said

@jeffw Thanks, I do more research regarding this comment-reply.min.js.

@andy not only Twenty Twelve having this feature, in fact alot of modern themes already have this feature for long time since wp announced nest comment feature, is it really useful for blog with long list of comments for that single post. Do consider including this feature.

Anyway thanks.

• mongo

said

@andy I’m +1 with both @rl2013 and @jeffw on this. As it stands it’s pretty clunky behaviour for leaving a comment where it needs to reload the entire page. I don’t think I know of a single BuddyPress theme (inc the latest from Parallelus) that doesn’t implement in-situ AJAX comments. The Moxie theme is a good example of expected behavior of comment forms. For us we are looking at dropping the Razor theme from any further development and content integration on our new website solely because it makes leaving comments a very clunky exercise not to mention the unnecessary overhead on the server.

Just my $.02. I guess I have to now go and pony up for another theme :(

• rastarr

said

+1 for this bug fix as well. I wanted it in Mingle as well :)

• rastarr

said

Did @andy find the fix at all?
    Having the feature reinstated is enormously helpful for commenters being able to readily see the contents of the comment that they are replying to.

• andy

said

@rastarr

I’ll have this added to the issues for Razor to be included in the next update.

Viewing post 1 to 15 (17 total posts)