Responsive WordPress Theme – Caliber

A theme with simple controls and limitless potential. Work fast and build an amazing website!   Find out more »

UpThemes – Beautiful WordPress Themes

Create a site your church, gallery, newspaper, blog, recipes, band and more!   See the themes »

Need a little help?  Find answers quickly by searching the forum.
Group Admins
  • andy
  • jeffw

Support for: Razor: Cutting Edge WordPress Theme

Razor

Public Group  |  active 1 year, 9 months ago ago
Viewing post 1 to 8 (8 total posts)

Replacing standard homepage slider with Slider Revolution

• jeffw

said

Hi, dmdstar.

If a third-party slider uses a shortcode in order to display a slideshow then there is nothing stopping you now from using that shortcode in a static content block and using that static content block anywhere you like in your content, including in the home page header.

• dmdstar

said

Thanks… With a little negative-margin tweaking, I think that’ll do just fine! Thank you for the suggestion.

• stevo

said

@dmdstar,
    I am interested in doing something similar as I also have that slider plugin. If you have figured out the steps involved in successfully adding that slider to your site, would mind posting those steps here? Would greatly appreciate it. The slider included with the theme is great, but that slider revolution does make it much easier to manipulate the slider layers with the drag and drop functionality, etc. Plus it has the preview too…

Thanks!

• dmdstar

said

Sure thing… It was actually a lot easier than I thought it would be. But I managed to get it to work.

This is nowhere near final quality, but here’s how it looks after I threw a few things in rev slider to test it: http://www.madisonjazz.com/main

Here’s what I did (based on Jeff’s suggestion):

SLIDER SETUP:

1. Create your slider in revolution slider, and use “homepage” as the alias.
    2. Select slider type “Full Width” and set grid width: 960 & max height of 500 (note: this is shorter than the standard one, so you can make it as tall as you want. I liked the look of 500)
    In the right-column, open “Position” and enter margin top: -100 and margin bottom: -60
    3. Add a couple slides so it’s testable.

CREATING A STATIC BLOCK:
    1. Go to Static Content->Static Blocks->Add New
    2. Name it something descriptive (I used “Header – Revolution slider”)
    3. Switch editor to text mode (via the tab on the right)
    4. Enter the following code in the editor:
    <div style="margin-left:-22px;margin-right:-22px;">[rev_slider homepage]</div>
    5. Click Publish

CHANGING THE HOMEPAGE LAYOUT:
    1. Click Appearance->Layouts
    2. Click Add new Header (below the headers listing)
    3. Give it a descriptive name (I chose to name it “Homepage – Revolution Slider”)
    4. Choose an alternate logo, or different logo sizing if desired
    5. Primary Content: Choose the static block you created previously
    6. Make any personalization changes you desire
    7. Click Save Header

8. Under “Layouts” choose “Home Page”
    9. Ensure Header is “Homepage – Revolution Slider” (or whatever you called it)
    10. I created an actual page for homepage content, so my client would be able to find it easier, and added that as a “static content container”
    11. Click Save

Now the revolution slider should be in the forefront, and behaving just like the included slider. The negative margins are to make it truly full width, touching the top of the browser, and menu overlapping on the bottom, just like the original.

Hope that helps!

• stevo

said

Hi dmdstar,

Wow! Thanks so much for taking the time to write that up! That’s awesome. Really appreciate it. I will follow those setup suggestions and see how it goes. Looks like you got it going perfectly…

Steve

• jeffw

said

@dmdstar Thanks for taking the time to do that. As you say, it’s actually a lot easier than you think and also a lot easier than a step-by-step guide makes it look. Once you’ve got the hang of how Razor layouts work (which you obviously have) then the design and layout possibilities with this theme are almost endless. Thanks again for posting that excellent step-by-step guide.

• dmdstar

said

Thanks jeffw. I wouldn’t say I totally have the hang of it yet. Fudged my way through until that ended up working. :)

It’s certainly different than I’m used to, but think I’m figuring out what you did here.

Viewing post 1 to 8 (8 total posts)