Responsive WordPress Theme – Caliber

A theme with simple controls and limitless potential. Work fast and build an amazing website!   Find out more »

UpThemes – Beautiful WordPress Themes

Create a site your church, gallery, newspaper, blog, recipes, band and more!   See the themes »

Need a little help?  Find answers quickly by searching the forum.
Group Admins
  • andy
  • jeffw

Support for: Salutation: WordPress + BuddyPress Theme

Salutation (WordPress)

Public Group  |  active 4 years, 5 months ago ago
Viewing post 16 to 26 (26 total posts)

(solved) Default Layout for Custom Post Types

• studioleland

said

@andy

Might be wise to unofficially “support” a cart system like Woocommerce (since its the least buggy and best supported already by Woothemes). This way your theme would always be tested to work with a decent theme-ready shopping experience and make support questions routine. Ideas here?

For the record: I have no affiliation with WooCommerce, just sick of fixing the WPEC bugs all day long.

• Steve

said

Generally if a plugin is not working in a theme, the support is received from the plugin developer. I understand your frustration with WPEC, but the fact they do not provide support is something we can’t assist with.

In regards to WooCommerce, if you contact them with specific errors they should be able to fix it.

• thecorkboard

said

@andy

Thanks for your diligence in answering questions here. You just solved a major hurdle I had today in getting my CPTs and taxonomies to work nicely with your layout features.

This is seriously the most powerful WP theme I’ve used. Color me pleased.

Thanks!

• andy

said

@thecorkboard

Thanks, I’m glad to hear it. I will admit, I hear a lot more from unhappy people than the satisfied ones and it tends to get me down. I can’t tell you how great it is to get positive feedback. I guess you only hear from most people when they have a problem. :)

• driftindave

said

I just wanted to say how pleased I am that I was able to exactly accomplish what I was striving to do; offer custom category templates with custom sidebars and headers. Your system is brilliant! I have tried to work with other systems to do the same thing and have gotten trapped in seemingly infinite loops trying to kludge together solutions.

Initially it was a little bewildering trying to wrap my head around what content to create where and how to set everything up, but I now see the amazing potential your system allows for and the flexibility it provides.

Thank you!

Dave

• andy

said

@driftindave

That’s great to hear. I’m really glad you were able to make the system work to your advantage. I am working on a possible modification to remove the need for the “context” function in the first file which points to a “template-[context].php” file. The goal it to remove one of the steps and simplify the template structure to be exactly the same as it is in a standard WP theme.

I’m in the very early testing phase but I think it’s very important to try and do this since it will make the theme much easier to use and understand how to modify. Hopefully the testing will go well and we can provide an update soon.

• amlichner

said

Hello, I read this whole post and I’m still kinda stuck. First off I created a new Custom Post Type in the functions.php file. I have added a few test posts. But, here is my issue. My new post type is called Quilt Inspiration “quilt_inspiration”. I was hoping for a landing page at myurl/quilt_inspiration, which would show a paginated list of all the posts. But that page throws a Page Not Found 404. When I click on a single post the page works. Any suggestions?

• Steve

said

Hi @amlichner,

This isn’t how Custom Post Types work, by default at least anyway. What you’re after may be possible with a plugin, but unfortunately we can’t assist much further with this sort of thing.

• amlichner

said

Hi @Steve,

Okay, I figured this out and thought I’d share for anyone else.

First I implemented this http://somadesign.ca/projects/smarter-custom-post-types/

Then you can create a folder with the same name as your post type, and create a single.php and index.php specifically for that post type. Then you just call “create_page_layout(‘inspiration’, ‘inspiration’); // context = inspiration” in each file single and index. Then you create two new template files to match your context. Then I created a new Layout in the admin, with the same name and I have full layout control.

Thanks!

• isarmstrong

said

Hey @andy,

Can the changes to admin-options-defaults.php be made in the context of a child theme? Or will I need to add those changes each time I run an update?

• andy

said

@isarmstrong

This type of change can’t be done as a child theme. I am working on adding some hooks and filters to make it possible to do more modifications without changing the core. Hopefully in a future release you can add the custom post types to the layouts by registering them in “functions.php” or a similar method. We’re working on these things.

Viewing post 16 to 26 (26 total posts)