Responsive WordPress Theme – Caliber

A theme with simple controls and limitless potential. Work fast and build an amazing website!   Find out more »

UpThemes – Beautiful WordPress Themes

Create a site your church, gallery, newspaper, blog, recipes, band and more!   See the themes »

Need a little help?  Find answers quickly by searching the forum.
Group Admins
  • andy
  • jeffw

Support for: Salutation: WordPress + BuddyPress Theme

Salutation (WordPress)

Public Group  |  active 4 years, 5 months ago ago
Viewing post 16 to 30 (30 total posts)

Pagination Error

• nanchante

said

I should point out, that when I say “it’s not working”, the little animation in the forum tab does actually animate, it’s just that the posts themselves do not update.

If I change the final return false; to be return true; , the animation works still, it;s just that the page is updated the normal way, without using ajax.

Hope this helps you @andy to pin point the issue.

• andy

said

Please provide a link to your site so I can see the problem.

• nanchante

said

Hi @andy ,

With regard to no other users having this issue, I believe that it is as simple as them not having enough replies to notice the the issue. The main dev site I am working on has thousands of replies, so it is plain to see.

I am yet to find a salutation install with many topics, that uses 1.3, to check on other builds by other people. Even this support area version does not use ajax pagination, and I am sure that if you enabled it you’d find the same issue
    c) they don’t have 1.3 enabled with ajax pagination.

Thinking about it, I should also mention that when BB Press is not manually installed, and the default BP group forum is installed with BP, then there is no ajax pagination at all, it defaults to the normal paging mechanism.

Once BBPress is installed, then the ajax pagination tries to work, no doubt due to js being wrapped in a conditional block, but fails to update the topic posts.

Programmers at this end say:

The ajax code actually takes name of active tab (in this case ‘forums’ and fetches result matching it and shows result using forums/forums-loop.php). Similarly we have tabs like ‘blogs’, ‘groups’, ‘members’ and here too ajax works fine.

If you see in above URL if you click on next, you will be actually shown next page of FORUM results and not that of topic comments. In theory it has to be like active tab = ‘topics’ and folders should be ‘topics’ and file should be ‘topics/topics-loop.php’.

A test url here is http://bp.weblife.com.au/community/groups/test-group/forum/topic/test-post/

It is running WP 3.3, BP 1.5.2 and theme version 1.3 – all installed just now for this demo purpose.

• nanchante

said

If i wrap the code below:

<div class="bp-pagination no-ajax">
        <div id="post-count" class="pag-count">
          <?php bp_the_topic_pagination_count() ?>
        </div>
        <div class="pagination-links" id="topic-pag topic-pag-top">
          <?php bp_the_topic_pagination() ?>
        </div>
      </div>

in a div with a class of forums such as

<div class="forums" role="main">
    <div class="bp-pagination no-ajax">
        <div id="post-count" class="pag-count">
          <?php bp_the_topic_pagination_count() ?>
        </div>
        <div class="pagination-links" id="topic-pag topic-pag-top">
          <?php bp_the_topic_pagination() ?>
        </div>
      </div>
      </div>

…then the pagination returns the actual forum titles themselves from the list view. So I’m guessing all we need to do is name the containing div the correct class name.

Is this all there is to it @andy ?

If so, what class, as I’ve tried a bunch of relavant ones and none seem to work.

• nanchante

said

Hi @andy – any updates on this please?

This is the one thing preventing our migration to BP/salutation.
    Cheers.

• mcguffin

said

@nanchante I can confirm this is broken (one of many things). This is what happens when its is only tested using demo content. This makes Salutation unusable. Not happy.

@andy Why isn’t your demo site running the most recent update and WP & BP versions you claim it is compatible with? I think that’s somewhat dishonest.

• nanchante

said

ok, finally someone else demonstrating the bug.

• andy

said

@mcguffin

Updating demo sites takes a very long time and when the only differences are in the code (not visual) it is not often done. You will find this is the case with nearly all themes on ThemeForest because we put so much time into the demo.

It is not dishonest, as the theme does work with BP and bbPress however this is a bug (and that can happen) and as it shows the bug on the demo site it’s even more a testament of the product matching being “as advertised”, not that I want bugs on the demo or in the product. We already know about this not that it’s been brought to our attention and are working on updates.

• andy

said

@nanchante

I want to fix this but I have a question I’ll need your help with. Why does paging work on my test sites, and this site, but not on your example (http://bp.weblife.com.au/community/groups/test-group/forum/topic/test-post/) if they are the same? Is this Ajax pagination being created by a plugin or is this a feature of BP that I don’t have enabled? I’m very confused because this forum obviously has a lot of pages for topics and they do the paging just fine.

I’ve checked the BP options again and I don’t see any option for enabling Ajax pagination in forum topics. Is this something new in BP 1.5.2? Is this a plugin? What is it that allows this feature that you are having trouble with? Can you provide some links to information about this. I really do want to help, unfortunately I have no idea what you’re talking about and can’t replicate the problem.

• nanchante

said

hi @andy it is AJAX pagination that doesn’t work.

Ajax pagination on forum topics is default out of the box using the salutation theme.

I don’t know what you’re actually testing, but if you go to the link on the test site, and click “2″ in the pagination, you’ll see that the ajax loader image runs in the “forum tab”, but the the actual topic replies do not change.

This has nothing to do with a plugin. There are no other plugins enabled in the test site. This is the behaviour in the salutation theme.

It happens in 1.5.1 and 1.5.2. It happens in 3.2.1 and 3.3.

It sounds like either this install and your test ones are either not running 1.3 or are modified somehow. Do they run the default BP install of the forums? Or are they running BBpress 2 over the top?

I have installed the template about 5 times now, and everytime the behaviour is the same.

If you: download 3.3 and install 1.3 on it, without anything else, you will find this outcome the same.

• nanchante

said

I have already done that on the default salutation forum on para.llel.us and it uses the old pagination with no ajax.

It appears it is not the same build.

• andy

said

@nanchante

I think it’s because this site (Help Center) is running WP 3.2.1 BP v1.5 and Salutation v1.2.2. I’ve not updated this Help Center since it was originally created a few months ago. I was also testing on a one of my previous development sites and it was not the latest version of WP/BP/Salutation. When I use WP 3.3, BP 1.5.2 and Salutation 1.3 I’m getting the same result as you.

Thanks for reporting this. I’m working on it now.

• andy

said

Ok, I’ve found the problem and the fix.

First, the topics list pagination should NOT be using AJAX requests. This is confirmed on the default BP theme and BuddyPress.org. Once you enter a topic it should only be going to the next page with a full postback page load. This is also confirmed by the class “no-ajax” in the pagination container for the topics on the theme and the default BP theme (and BP.org) which is telling the JavaScript function not to use AJAX.

The problem was a side effect of my fix (the one described at the beginning of this thread) for getting the AJAX functions to work on Members, Forums, Groups, etc. areas of the plugin. When I did this I had a typo in the code that was causing the “no-ajax” class to always fail.

The fix is REALLY simple :)

Open the file “footer-default.php” and go to line 63 and change the condition:

if ( target.parents('.bp-pagination').hasClass('bp-pagination') && !target.parent('.bp-pagination').hasClass('no-ajax') ) {

To this:

if ( target.parents('.bp-pagination').hasClass('bp-pagination') && !target.parents('.bp-pagination').hasClass('no-ajax') ) {

Looks identical? The only change is in the second part of the condition where “!target.parent” is getting an “s” added to make it “!target.parents“. That was the cause of the problem, not having an “s“.

This has already been added to the upcoming update so you can make the change and it will not be overwritten when you apply the update.

Viewing post 16 to 30 (30 total posts)