Responsive WordPress Theme – Caliber

A theme with simple controls and limitless potential. Work fast and build an amazing website!   Find out more »

UpThemes – Beautiful WordPress Themes

Create a site your church, gallery, newspaper, blog, recipes, band and more!   See the themes »

Need a little help?  Find answers quickly by searching the forum.
Group Admins
  • andy
  • jeffw

Support for: Salutation: WordPress + BuddyPress Theme

Salutation (WordPress)

Public Group  |  active 4 years, 4 months ago ago
Viewing post 1 to 15 (16 total posts)

Updated Salutation and CSS code

• mthant

said

Hello
    As previously mentioned problem with Design Setting and Updated Salutation.
    I also notice problem with the CSS code that was previously working.
    I had implemented the CSS code you had given me and added some features and they were working before. But with the updated Salutation they became inconsistent. Here is the code…

/*this is for the changes in pricing table*/
    .two-column-table .price-column { 
    width: 48%; 
    border-radius:15px;
    }
    .two-column-table .price-column.even-column {margin-left: 4% }

.price-column .column-title {
      background-color: #ffffff;
      color: blue;
    }

.price-column{
    color:#000000;
    background:blue;
    cursor:pointer;
    cursor:hand;
    transition:0.5s;
    }
    .price-column a:link{
    color:#000000;
    }
    .price-column:hover{
    transform:scale(1.2);
    }

.price-column { background: Red }
    .price-column.first-column{ background: Green }
    .price-column.even-column  { background: Blue }
    .price-column.last-column  { background: Yellow }

Here are the problems that I notice…
    1. The colors of the font and background in .price-column .column-title no longer work.
    2. The color of the a:link in the price column works while I am still using Customize but as soon as I close Customize it does not work (it was working before)
    3.The .price-column .evencolumn background color no longer changes.
    I am temporarily deactivating the underconstruction plug in for you to look at. The home page is where the code is implemented. http://hemoncessentials.com/home/
    Thanks
    Myo

• jeffw

said

I’m sorry to have to put my foot down with you, Myo, but I need to point out to you again that customising and extending the theme’s CSS is beyond the scope of theme support.

The CSS snippets I have posted for you in the past have been suggestions, somewhere for you start. It was not intended to be tested and finished CSS that you can use straight of the box and it will work in all situations. That is not what we are here for.

Please try to remember and respect that we are here to answer questions about the theme, not to write or debug custom CSS and HTML for you.

If you use Internet Explorer, Chrome, Firefox, Safari or Opera you can use the browser’s built-in developer tools to point at and “inspect” elements on a web page to find out what styles they use. You can even tweak the styles live to experiment with any changes you might fancy.

It could be that you need to use the background-color property instead of the background property. It may be that you need to use the !important declaration with some style properties so that your values take precedence. These are not theme issues, these are basic CSS issues and there are lots of sites out there where you can get free help with CSS if you need it.

The W3Schools forums are a great place to go → http://w3schools.invisionzone.com

Again, please try to remember and respect that we are here to answer questions about the theme, not to write or debug custom CSS and HTML for you.

Thanks.

• mthant

said

Jeff
    Sorry, the reason I asked you is because it was working with the earlier version of Salutation before I updated it (if you recall I mentioned to you in the earlier topic (undefined variables in columns ) about a couple of messages that I thought were errors, and you mentioned that they were notices and that I should update to a new version. When I updated it, those that were working no longer works and so I thought it is related to the Salutation update.
    If you don’t think it was due to Salutation update, I am a little baffled why it worked before and not anymore.
    Thanks,
    Myo

• jeffw

said

The CSS you posted works on my Salutation sandbox site so I’m not sure why it doesn’t work for you.

• mthant

said

I am sorry, I don’t know what is going wrong.
    I downloaded the Salutation file from Theme Forest.
    Deleted the Salutation theme from the wp-content.
    Installed the new Salutation theme. Still didn’t work. The logo, the background color hex code, the footer hex code, still disappeared in the Design Setting. the image that were installed in the body background still present (although there is no URL in the field of Design Setting (please see Salutation update and Desigh Setting that I posted earlier)
    The CSS code that I mentioned above still did not work (even though it worked in your sandbox). Suddenly, while I was assigning the home page to front page, the whole page disappeared.
    So I removed the salutation theme and uploaded the old one that I had as backup before updating.
    It still does not work. Worse, the home page no longer showed up as though Home page menu link is disconnected.
    I tried by removing the old Home page, and created a new one and reassign the it in the menu but it did not work.
    I am giving it up for the day.
    Tomorrow, I will replace the whole wp-content (with the back up )and test it

• mthant

said

All these happened only after I updated to Salutation 3.0.16

• jeffw

said

We have several thousand customers using this theme, and the vast majority of them will have also updated to the latest version, and no one except you is experiencing problems like those you describe. We also are not experiencing problems like those you describe. So we are very confident that the problems you are experiencing cannot be caused by the Salutation theme.

• jeffw

said

Suddenly, while I was assigning the home page to front page, the whole page disappeared.

It sounds like you are not doing that the right way for Salutation. In Settings > Reading you must set the Front page displays option to “Your latest posts” and then you control the layout and content of your home (front) page via the layout manager.

This video shows you how to use the layout manager → http://para.llel.us/video/salutation-layout-manager

There are more video tutorials for Salutation here → http://para.llel.us/support/videos/ Scroll down the page, they are under the “Salutation” heading.

• mthant

said

I will check those videos and do it again but I am sure I did it correctly (the same as I did with the previous website MEHSA.org using Salutation. Of course, I did not update the theme for that website because it has been running smoothly.)
    The problem is happening only in the Design Setting (it still will not allow me to enter our logo as well background colors for header and footer) and the home page where I use the pricing columns and home page.
    But I will retry again.

• mthant

said

I have hired an experienced developer to see if he can solve the problem.
    Currently, if you look at the website…
    http://www.hemoncessentials.com, you will notice that it is in full width layout in addition to the above problems with the CSS, It will not change to any other layout option that you choose in the Admin.
    Myo

• jeffw

said

You are not taking notice of what I am telling you.

In Settings > Reading you must set the Front page displays option to “Your latest posts” and then you control the layout and content of your home (front) page via the layout manager.

By looking at the browser source of your home page I can tell that you have not followed the above instructions. You must follow these instructions otherwise Salutation will not work properly and unpredictable problems may crop up that are caused by not using the theme the way it is supposed to be used. (The same is true for your other website.)

This video shows you how to use the layout manager → http://para.llel.us/video/salutation-layout-manager

So… After setting Front page displays option to “Your latest posts”, in Appearance > Layouts, under the “Layout & Template Defaults” heading, make sure you have set the various areas of your website set to use the appropriate layouts. You can create your own layouts if you like, or use our demo layouts. The Home page option should be set to use the “Home Page Layout” layout if you are using our demo layouts.

• mthant

said

Jeff
    Please review the website and tell me how to achieve what I want.
    I did as you suggested. Changed Front page display to “Your latest posts” and got this page with “latest blog posts” as front page.
    First, I don’t know which page to go to format thisf ront page to design what I want.t. Second I couldn’t assign the home page (please look at Home page) to Front page display. While you are at the Home page you’ll notice that the problem with the CSS code still persists. While you are at Home page please select Customize. You’ll notice that the font of the columns change to the color that I want which is black. As soon as you leave Customize it will go back to red. Also the even and last columns will not change to the color that is coded, even though it is the same code that you checked and approved earlier.
    You may have to go through goDaddy to get to Admin to look.
    [login credentials removed by admin]
    I would really appreciate and tell me where I made a mistake.
    Myo

• jeffw

said

You are not taking notice of what I am telling you.

After setting Front page displays option to “Your latest posts”, in Appearance > Layouts, under the “Layout & Template Defaults” heading, make sure you have set the various areas of your website set to use the appropriate layouts. You can create your own layouts if you like, or use our demo layouts. The Home page option should be set to use the “Home Page Layout” layout if you are using our demo layouts.

There are more video tutorials for Salutation here → http://para.llel.us/support/videos/ Scroll down the page, they are under the “Salutation” heading.

If you want to create your content by modifying our demo content, you’ll find the home page content in Pages > All Pages, it is the article titled “Home Page”.

The headline in the home page (the element where you see “Join → Share → Connect!” is a static block. You’ll find that in Static Content > Static Blocks, it’s the article titled “Home Page – Headline”.

I cannot login to your admin and do this work for you. I’m happy to keep on telling you the same stuff over and over again, but you must do the work yourself.

Lastly, I have told you before that we are not here to write or debug custom CSS for you. If you cannot get your custom CSS to work you will need to consider hiring a professional developer to help you.

• jeffw

said

P.S. Please do not post login credentials in this forum. It’s not just you and me in here, there are potentially more than 5,000 other people who can see your login credentials. I have removed the login credentials from your post.

• mthant

said

I understand the risk, but I thought I should let you see that if I change the Front Page display to “Your latest Posts” in the settings. It is displaying posts as Front Page. I do not want Front Page to be just unformatted blog page instead I would like to have my home page display as Front Page and it is not accepting to do that. The Front Page should display only the two selected posts (that we want users to see) and the button columns describing the site features. Of course, the same CSS code is still not working.
    I do n

Viewing post 1 to 15 (16 total posts)
Topic tags: CSS code, customize, pricing-columns, Salutation 3.0.16