Responsive WordPress Theme – Caliber

A theme with simple controls and limitless potential. Work fast and build an amazing website!   Find out more »

UpThemes – Beautiful WordPress Themes

Create a site your church, gallery, newspaper, blog, recipes, band and more!   See the themes »

Need a little help?  Find answers quickly by searching the forum.
Group Admins
  • andy
  • jeffw

Support for: Salutation: WordPress + BuddyPress Theme

Salutation (WordPress)

Public Group  |  active 4 years, 4 months ago ago
Viewing post 1 to 4 (4 total posts)

Updated Salutation and design settings wiped out

• mthant

said

Hello
    I don’t know if it is the problem with WordPress or Salutation 3.0.16
    I updated to latest Salutation (like you suggested) after backing up my work.
    While playing around with different body background image in the Design Setting it suddenly wiped out all the fields as well as the custom CSS code that was present.
    I re-uploaded the back up wp-content but the fields in the Design Setting were still empty including the CSS codes and formatting. Surprisingly, although the field for body back ground image is empty it showed the formatted images but the fields for header background color, footer background color, CSS codes are empty as well as their effects.
    Do you know what I did wrong?

• jeffw

said

Sorry, no idea. No one else has ever reported an issue like that. It’s more likely to be caused by an errant plugin than by the theme itself.

Sometimes, if you have multiple Salutation theme folders in the ‘wp-content/themes’ folder, that can cause unpredictable problems. If you feel the need to store old versions of the theme, either download them to your computer and store them there, or move them to another location on your server. When I need to do this I create a ‘backups’ folder in ‘wp-content’.

All the theme settings and other site data is stored in your site’s database. Reinstalling or updating the theme has no effect of your site’s database, all you are doing is replacing one set of files with another set of files.

If your settings suddenly disappear it could mean your site’s database has been compromised or has become corrupted.

Has it happened again since?

• jeffw

said

This is the exact procedure to follow when reinstalling or updating Salutation…

- Download the latest version of the Salutation theme from ThemeForest (the “Installable WordPress file only” option).
         - Unzip the file you downloaded from ThemeForest to create a ‘parallelus-salutation’ folder on your computer.
         - Use FTP to delete the ‘parallelus-salutation’ theme folder on your server.
         - Use FTP to upload the new ‘parallelus-salutation’ theme folder from your computer to your server.
         - To update the Slider Revolution plugin use FTP to delete the ‘wp-content/plugins/revslider/’ folder on your server. Salutation will then prompt you to install the plugin again. After you install the plugin again you will have the version that is included with the theme update. (If you are not prompted to install Slider Revolution go to Appearance > Install Plugins and you can install it from there.)

Please don’t reinstall or update the theme any other way, please follow the instructions above exactly. If you do not follow these instructions exactly then you may lose your theme settings, i.e. they could all revert to the default settings. (Maybe this is what happened to you? Perhaps you didn’t delete the old Salutation theme folder?)

It is important that you download the theme again from ThemeForest because it has been known for zip files to become corrupted in transmission.

It is also important that you first delete the existing ‘parallelus-salutation’ theme folder on your server before you upload the new one. If you don’t do this you could end up with a theme folder with missing files and a mixture of templates from older and newer versions of the theme, and that can cause problems.

So it is very important that you first delete the existing ‘parallelus-salutation’ theme folder on your server before you upload the new one.

Do not have multiple Salutation theme folders in ‘wp-content/themes’, that alone can cause unpredictable problems. If you feel the need to store old versions of the theme, either download them to your computer and store them there, or move them to another location on your server. When I need to do this I create a ‘backups’ folder in ‘wp-content’.

After reinstalling, remember to refresh your browser’s caches so that it’s not using cached versions of the theme’s CSS and JavaScript files…
         → http://www.refreshyourcache.com/en/cache/

• mthant

said

Jeff
    Thanks, I will download the update and do it again.
    Actually, I renamed the old we-content folder not to be confused with the new wp-content folder. Will start the update procedure again.
    Myo

Viewing post 1 to 4 (4 total posts)
Topic tags: body background image., CSS codes, design setting, Salutation 3.0.16