Responsive WordPress Theme – Caliber

A theme with simple controls and limitless potential. Work fast and build an amazing website!   Find out more »

UpThemes – Beautiful WordPress Themes

Create a site your church, gallery, newspaper, blog, recipes, band and more!   See the themes »

Need a little help?  Find answers quickly by searching the forum.
Group Admins
  • andy
  • jeffw

Support for: Traject – WordPress Portfolio and Business Theme

Traject (WordPress)

Public Group  |  active 4 years, 4 months ago ago
Viewing post 1 to 15 (15 total posts)

ALO EasyMail fail/conflict in IE

• Taran

said

Hi
    I have done a fresh install of WP and added only the plugin “ALO EasyMail Newsletter widget” at http://sandbox.dorset-sorted.co.uk/?p=6
    It fails in IE9 but works fine in other browsers.
    (maybe an Ajax thing?)

When I try to sign up using IE9 I do not get the notification “Your subscription was successfully activated. You will receive the next newsletter. Thank you.” and the submitted form does not add a subscriber. I am on WP version 3.4.2 and the Alo Version 2.4.11 and Traject 1.2.3

Otherwise very happy with this theme used at http://www.thefishrestaurant-westbay.co.uk/

• jeffw

said

Hi, Taran.

I can’t think of any reason why this would fail just in IE9. Are you quite sure that you are not using IE in its infamous “compatibility” mode?

You might try updating the version of jQuery that the theme uses. You can get the latest version of the script from http://jquery.com/

The jquery-1.8.1.min.js file can be saved to the same location as the current version – wp-content/themes/theme-traject/js/ – then you can update the reference in the header.php file by replacing this reference:

wp_register_script('jquery', ($themePath ."js/jquery-1.4.2.min.js"), false, '1.4.2');

With the new one:

wp_register_script('jquery', ($themePath ."js/jquery-1.8.1.min.js"), false, '1.8.1');

It’s worth a try. Other than that, I’m clueless. On my iMac your form works properly across all major browsers, and even a couple of minor ones. You might try opening your JavaScript console in IE to see if any errors are being generated. I’ll run it past @andy to see if he has any ideas.

• Taran

said

Yay! Updating the JQuery worked. Thank you so much.

Stoopid IE sucks. (I also had a nightmare with some sites using the Lightbox script in IE today; again updating the js did the trick. Thanks to Microsoft for keeping me out of the pub).

• jeffw

said

@taran That’s great. I’m not sure if we have fully tested the Traject theme with the jQuery 1.8.1 script yet, so crossfingers nothing breaks. ;)

• Taran

said

No I am not in compatibility mode (I did try it). I’ll try some other versions of JQuery and let you know how I get on.
    Thanks Jeffw
    (Just Googled “jquery ie9″ and got a whole load of results with people griping about it)

• Taran

said

jquery-1.8.1 is the only one that allows the ALO easymail plugin to work with your theme, but breaks the featured content bar.

Perhaps if I ignore it for a while…

• Taran

said

Aha I added this to header.php to force compatibility to IE8

<meta http-equiv="x-ua-compatible" content="IE8"/>

Now it all works.

• jeffw

said

Interesting. Thank you for keeping us updated with your progress. So basically the solution is to force IE9 into compatibility mode, yes? Is this still with the jQuery 1.8.1 script being loaded?

• Taran

said

That’s right (altho’ weirdly if you go into compatibility mode now it breaks, also broken in MSIE7), and yes I am using jQuery 1.8.1

I suppose I could’ve simply tried another newsletter plugin…

Thanks for your help on this.

Wouldn’t it be good if IE played nice for once?

• jeffw

said

Yes, it is frustrating that IE9 continued the Microsoft tradition of deliberate incompatibility with agreed upon standards.

• Taran

said

Will you be updating the theme at any point?

• jeffw

said

I know there are few little things that need updating, but I’m not sure when @andy intends to release an update.

Viewing post 1 to 15 (15 total posts)
Topic tags: ALO EasyMail, ie9, Newsletter, Traject