Responsive WordPress Theme – Caliber

A theme with simple controls and limitless potential. Work fast and build an amazing website!   Find out more »

UpThemes – Beautiful WordPress Themes

Create a site your church, gallery, newspaper, blog, recipes, band and more!   See the themes »

Need a little help?  Find answers quickly by searching the forum.
Group Admins
  • jeffw

Support for: Unite – WordPress Business, Magazine Theme

Unite (WordPress)

Public Group  |  active 4 years, 5 months ago ago
Viewing post 1 to 15 (17 total posts)

Problem with EventON plugin

• sambasanchez

said

Hi Jeff,
    I just bought the EventON plug-in, and it’s not working. When I contacted the author, he said there was something not called from the theme. I really don’t know much about coding, and as I said before, this is first website I do. Anyways, the author said to put some debugging into the website, and after following the steps he provided I was able to install. I sent back what I got and he saw some issues with the theme, and said that might be causing the plugin not to work.
    I know it should be something very simple because the problem is only happening when I open the page where the event is called.

Let me show you the issue:
    1) go to this website: http://www.soonernights.com/whattodo/
    2) click on any event. (the event should expand, but it doesn’t)
    3) Now go to the month of December (Just click on the right arrow next to the month)
    4) Now go back to the month of November (click on the left arrow)
    5) Now click on any event and they will expand.

I really don’t know much about coding and I’m just following what the author said. I really like your theme and I’m not planning on changing it. But if you can help me out with this it would be greatly appreciated.

the debug file is here >> http://www.soonernights.com/debug.txt
    The web console report from firefox is here >> http://www.soonernights.com/firefox.txt

Thank you very much!
    Any input will help.

Samba.

• jeffw

said

The events are not opening the first time you click on them because a JavaScript error is happening when you click on a event. So you need to find out what is causing the JavaScript error.

The first test will be see if the JavaScript error still happens when the EventON plugin is the only plugin activated.

Please deactivate all other plugins, all at the same time, so that the only plugin activated is the EventON plugin, and check if the problem is still there or not. If the problem goes away, reactivate your additional plugins one at a time (individually, not incrementally) until you find the one that is causing the problem. If the problem persists after all additional plugins are deactivated (all at the same time), please leave them all deactivated, let us know and we will work from there.

• sambasanchez

said

Hi Jeff, I just deactivated all the plugins except for EventON and it’s still doing the same issue. I updated the firefox and debug text files. Those files are with no plugins except for eventON. All I did during the debug was open the page > try to expand the event (It didn’t work) > Go to December > Go back to November > Expand an event (worked)

Let me know anything else I can do to resolve this issue.
    Thanks.

• jeffw

said

Please leave all additional plugins deactivated, and then put back the theme’s original ‘header.php’ file so that your example page @ http://www.soonernights.com/whattodo/ doesn’t have a slideshow on it. Do you still have the same problem then?

• sambasanchez

said

Yes, I still do. I have to restore the plugins by 6:00pm CT. I have clients that are paying for their advertisement on the website, and the weekend is when everyone go and see pictures, Let me know if there is anything I can do to resolve this issue. Thanks,

• jeffw

said

What we have here is known as a “plugin conflict”. What you have to do is find the cause of the conflict. There can be no fix before the cause is found. The troubleshooting procedure is all about ruling out possible causes. So far we have ruled out the possibility of a conflict with another plugin being the cause, and we have ruled out the possibility of a conflict with the theme’s slideshow JavaScript being the cause. So we need to look elsewhere for the cause, and we need to do that methodically, one little step at a time. Troubleshooting takes time, and I can’t help you to troubleshoot your problem to a deadline.

Here’s the next thing we are going to try…

Open the ‘header.php’ file and on line 114 or thereabouts you’ll see this…

<script type="text/javascript" src="<?php echo $themePath ?>js/jquery.fancybox-1.3.1.pack.js"></script>

We are going to comment out that script tag to check if the conflict is being caused by the Fancybox JavaScript. Like this…

<!-- <script type="text/javascript" src="<?php echo $themePath ?>js/jquery.fancybox-1.3.1.pack.js"></script> -->

When you have made that modification, save the file and then upload it to the theme’s folder on your server.

Let me know if this helps or not.

• sambasanchez

said

No, that didn’t work. Also I cannot use the arrows to go to other months.

• jeffw

said

In your original post you said this…

When I contacted the author, he said there was something not called from the theme.

Please go back to the plugin author and ask him exactly what is not called from the theme.

Also you said this…

… he saw some issues with the theme, and said that might be causing the plugin not to work.

Please ask the plugin author exactly what issues he saw with the theme that might be causing the plugin not to work.

Let us know what he says.

• sambasanchez

said

Let me paste what he said:
    Here is the issue with your theme.
    The plugin works as intended, and if you navigate to December, and back to November, that slide down event interactions work perfectly.
    This leads me to believe either your scripts are not being loaded fully to the site.
    Are you able to enable Debugging on your site and please report back the debug log?
    If you are not sure how to handle that or enable the WordPress Debug, please follow the directions here:
    https://codex.wordpress.org/Debugging_in_WordPress
    Here is the code you want to ultimately add to your Wp-Config.php file.

I did the debugging thing and send the files to you,

He also wrote this:
    I would definitely try to reach out to the theme developer, as it seems there are some deprecating issues at hand.
    Not saying this is what’s causing the issue, but its a start to get those resolved.

• jeffw

said

Please ask the plugin author exactly what he means by “as it seems there are some deprecating issues at hand”. Let us know what he says.

• jeffw

said

Those are PHP notices and they don’t affect the operation of PHP in any way. Those PHP notices cannot be the cause of the plugin conflict. The plugin author knows this.

Please tell the plugin author about the JavaScript error that happens when you click on an event for the first time, and ask him for his take on why that JavaScript error is happening. Please ask him exactly what he means when he says “This leads me to believe either your scripts are not being loaded fully to the site.”

• sambasanchez

said

HI Jeff,
    He also requested access to my site, and he said he will try to do something in the backend. (whatever that means).
    However, he said to fix the problem in the following screenshot

http://www.soonernights.com/screenshot.jpg

I will keep you posted.
    Thanks for your help.

• jeffw

said

The JavaScript error in that screenshot is caused by the commenting out of the line in ‘headers.php’ that we did. You can put that back the way it was, i.e change this…

<!-- <script type="text/javascript" src="<?php echo $themePath ?>js/jquery.fancybox-1.3.1.pack.js"></script> -->

Back to this…

<script type="text/javascript" src="<?php echo $themePath ?>js/jquery.fancybox-1.3.1.pack.js"></script>

Save and upload.

After you do that you’ll be able to see the JavaScript error that happens when you click on an event for the first time.

• sambasanchez

said

ok thanks, I just did the changes, and also I will send this to the other developer.

Viewing post 1 to 15 (17 total posts)