Responsive WordPress Theme – Caliber

A theme with simple controls and limitless potential. Work fast and build an amazing website!   Find out more »

UpThemes – Beautiful WordPress Themes

Create a site your church, gallery, newspaper, blog, recipes, band and more!   See the themes »

Need a little help?  Find answers quickly by searching the forum.
Group Admins
  • jeffw
  • ljungi
  • maxleondalheimer
  • admin
Group Mods
  • malekovitch

Support for: Vellum – Responsive WordPress Theme

Vellum

Public Group  |  active 1 month, 2 weeks ago ago
Viewing post 31 to 40 (40 total posts)

Edits continue to revert back to defaults

• ashleyat87

said

I deleted the json files and the issues are still there.

• andy

said

I’m probably going to need to see this happening. Can you email the login details to support@parallelus.net and I’ll understand better.

• jeffw

said

@ashleyat87

Thanks for trying the json thing, it was just a shot in the dark.

My support shift is finishing in 10 minutes so I’ll let Andy take it from here.

• ashleyat87

said

Any thoughts on what’s up with my wp acct and theme?

• andy

said

I’ve logged in and tested it now. These are really disturbing results. Like you described, saving a setting is not working, but not the way you would thing. Typically if a setting is getting reset to the default in a theme built on Runway it would be assumed that the JSON files were overriding the database, but NOPE! What’s happening is even more disturbing that that. The data is NEVER being saved to the database. It’s actually only getting loaded into (what appears to be) some kind of cached data on the server and not actually making it into the real database. That’s why the settings are showing as saved in the reloaded page but if you go to the page again it’s reset. That loaded data was some kind of cached value being sent to WP by the server. Not an actual reflection of what is in your database.

This was most obvious in the Starter Kits page where applying a starter kit wouldn’t even create a backup! That’s not even a Runway feature, it’s a custom theme feature we’ve built just for Vellum so it’s entirely disconnected from the other saved data in the theme and couldn’t be caused by the JSON data files.

My guess is you have a host that’s using some kind of specialized database caching and it’s preventing the data from saving. I can’t even imagine what they’ve done to create this problem but I’ll bet you the cost of this theme if you go to another host (any other host), the theme will work perfect.

My advise, as much as it may seem like a pain to deal with, is to ask for a refund from your host (if you just signed up and they have a policy for this) and try someone else. If you have the same problem on another host, I’ll personally setup a free hosting account for you on my own Parallelus server for the next year. Sometimes these “managed” WP specific hosting services try and do things that make no sense. It’s like they think people using WP are stupid and they add all kinds of additional caching, security and other restrictions on the hosting account which do more harm than good.

Overall, I wouldn’t recommend DreamHost anyway. Not that I have a great reason for it, but they seem more like a budge host than a quality one. Also, avoid GoDaddy at all cost.

Maybe you can ask them if they have any weird data caching features enabled on the hosting account. I’m also fairly confident that if they moved you to a “normal” hosting account and not this managed WP thing the problem would go away. We have hundreds of users running sites on DreamHost and nobody having this issue.

• ashleyat87

said

I sent the dreamhost tech support your message. Maybe they have some odd settings on my hosting account and can figure it out. I really appreciate all your help so far. I’ll let you know what happens.

• andy

said

Maybe it’s this: Super-Fast Varnish Caching. They list that on the page about DreamPress, but to run a data caching tool like that on an admin page seems odd to me. I’m not an expert on server technology so maybe that’s normal. All I can say for sure is that the data being submitted to save is never making it to the database.

If they want an example to dig into. Tell them to look at the “Accounts > Demo Content” feature. When you apply any starter kit it should create a backup of the previous state. You see the backups listed at the bottom of the page. When I’m using that it never creates a new backup on your server. This is in no way using any special functionality. We’re just using standard WP functions to get a copy of current database values and then using another standard WP function store a copy of those settings in the WP options table so we can have a backup copy. It’s really weird for no back up to be created. You also can’t restore the one backup that is showing in the list. I’m not even sure how that one got created.

If they have the ability to turn on and off performance settings like this caching feature, I’d be very interested in knowing the results. If they need anything from me or maybe my contact information, please share the support@parallelus.net email with them. We’ll do whatever we can to help.

Thanks!

• ashleyat87

said

Everything is working and saving properly now. I really appreciate your help in finding the issue. This has been making me crazy since buying the theme 2 weeks ago. I’m glad it’s all straightened out now and I hope all of this can save someone else the headache! You all have fantastic tech support.

FYI, here’s what the dreamhost tech support person said (and this is what fixed the issue):
    Hello Ashley,
    Varnish doesn’t cache wp-admin. I can promise you that. MEMCACHED however might be why. It caches DB queries and in rare cases can do stupid things like this. I’ve turned that off for you now.

• ashleyat87

said

One last bit of clarification from the Dreamhost tech person:

Your site will run a bit slower without memcached, but if the option is
    working at all or not, we’ll take the slower I think.

We’re using this WP plugin for Memcached:
    https://wordpress.org/plugins/memcached-redux/

That’s what I disabled for you. We use it as a drop in plugin in your
    wp-content folder.

• andy

said

I just got done chatting with DreamPress support person and they suggested the same thing.

@andyinthewild I’m at home cooking for Thanksgiving, but try turning off Memcached (rename the object-cache.php file in wp-content).

Came here to pass that along and I see you already have the solution. :)

I’m really glad to hear it’s resolved and the site is working for you now.

Viewing post 31 to 40 (40 total posts)