Responsive WordPress Theme – Caliber

A theme with simple controls and limitless potential. Work fast and build an amazing website!   Find out more »

UpThemes – Beautiful WordPress Themes

Create a site your church, gallery, newspaper, blog, recipes, band and more!   See the themes »

Need a little help?  Find answers quickly by searching the forum.
Group Admins
  • jeffw
  • ljungi
  • maxleondalheimer
  • admin
Group Mods
  • malekovitch

Support for: Vellum – Responsive WordPress Theme

Vellum

Public Group  |  active 1 month, 2 weeks ago ago
Viewing post 1 to 4 (4 total posts)

I want to use the Wine template and WooCommerce

• enggware

said

Hi, I already imported the dummy content and I want to use the Wine template because I’ll be using woocommerce but I couldn’t find where to change it. I thought it was just as simple as setting the static homepage. I read the documentation fully but I couldn’t find it there. I’m so frustrated that I end up editing the default one.

Please, can someone help me?

Thanks.

P.S. (added/edited)
    By the way, i followed everything here: http://para.llel.us/support/groups/vellum/forum/topic/how-do-i-choose-a-specific-sample-to-follow/
    But the only thing that changed was the first page (it’s the slider) ONLY. I also noticed that there is no “One Page – Resort” (or One Page – Wine in my case). I imported the xml file twice (separate wordpress installation) just to be sure. NOTHING. The importing took a while, about 10-20min I think, but no error returned after it finished, so I assume there’s nothing wrong. Also, in the uploads folder, the images for Wine layout are there. So I guess only the pages for each layout are missing, only the default one is there (Home Pages).

• jeffw

said

Hi, enggware.

Go to Appearance > Layout Manager > Layouts and set the default Home Page layout to “Wine”. Save the changes.

Next go to Settings > Reading and set Front page displays to A static page, then set that static page to be the one entitled “Wine”. Save the changes.

You’ll want to edit that article to put your own content in it, you’ll find it in Pages > All Pages. If you open that page in the article editor you’ll see that over on the right in the Content Options metabox we have set the layout overrides for this individual page. So although we have just set the default home page layout in the layout manager, this individual article setting trumps that.

In our demo content we have used a lot of layout overrides in order to show off how versatile the Vellum theme is, how you can create literally any design style using this theme. Alas, while that decision seemed like a brilliant one at the time, it turns out that while we succeeded in showing off the versatility of the Vellum theme, we also succeeded in confusing the hell out of everyone. We are doing something about this right now and v1.3 of the theme will make it much easier for you to import just the demonstration design style in which you are interested. That theme update is due to be published this week.

In the meantime, back in the article editor, set the Header, Body and Footer drop-down menus in the Content Options metabox to “-Select-” and save the changes. Now this page will use the default home page layout as set in the layout manager. I think this makes it less confusing where you have to go if you want to modify or change the layout of your home page.

That’s your home page sorted out.

I hope I’m not blinding you with the science here, I’m just trying to explain how layouts work. The truth is that the Vellum theme is nowhere near as complicated to use as it appears. It is actually dead simple, but all that demo content makes the theme look complicated and intimidating.

Back in the layout manager, if you have activated the WooCommerce plugin then all the contexts related to WooCommerce (under the “Registered Templates” heading) should already be set to “Shop – Default” and “Shop – Home” for the WooCommerce: Home context.

That’s the shop pages sorted out.

If you want other pages, such as About Us or Contact Us for example, then in the layout manager you can set the Pages context also to “Shop – Default”. Then any new pages you create will use the same layout as the WooCommerce shop pages. Ditto if you also want a blog, i.e. set the Blog and Single Post contexts to use the “Shop – Default” layout.

Watch out for those Content Options layout overrides if you are planning to modify and use any of our demonstration pages. Remember to check the settings in that metabox and if there are layout overrides set then set them back to the “-Select-” option so that the default layout set in the layout manager for that type of article will be used.

That’s pages and posts sorted out.

I hope I’ve managed to explain what you need to do and how this stuff works. If you have any questions please let me know, and if I have succeeded only in further confusing you please don’t be afraid to say so and I’ll have another go at it. :D

• enggware

said

Hi, thanks for the detailed explanation. I actually solved it yesterday using your process on one of your comments to other post in this forum. My problem lies with the incomplete data import. Initial import DOES NOT import all pages. I concluded this after importing the xml file twice in a separate fresh wordpress install. The individual home pages for each layout are missing. But when I tried importing the data for the second time on one of those wordpress install, it installed the missing pages finally (along with the messages that some files already exists). I also did this to my other wordpress install and also the missing pages showed. So I think there was somehow a bug during your first time of importing the data? Anyways, I hope this can be fixed to in your next release.

Anyways, that would be great if in your next release you can simplify the layout change by simply setting the home page in static pages (i.e. you can choose Default, Resort, or Wine layout). Or much better if that would be as simple as clicking a button or choosing from a dropdown/radio button (this will be helpful for those who are just starting with wordpress and doesn’t have a solid background in templates). Additionally, please put these instructions in your manual. For people like me, I always look for the manual and use it to fully customized my templates without asking people from the forums.

Great theme by the way! First of its kind. Four thumbs up for its versatility.

• jeffw

said

Hi, enggware.

Thank you for the feedback.

Currently the demo content is HUGE and some web servers are configured in a such a way as to prevent the import of HUGE demo content in a single session. There is absolutely nothing we can do about that, it can only be fixed by either yourself or your web hosts adjusting the web server configuration.

If the HUGE demo content won’t import for you in a single session because your web server is configured in such a way as to prevent that, and if you or your web hosts cannot modify the server configuration, then all you can do is import the demo content over and over until it has all imported.

If you want to better understand this issue, we already have a topic discussing the demo content import which contains lots of information that newcomers to the WordPress publishing platform may find useful → http://para.llel.us/support/groups/vellum/forum/topic/demo-data-not-loading/

Version 1.3 of the theme will make it much easier for you to import just the demonstration design style in which you are interested. That theme update is due to be published this week.

Currently I am in the process of writing an article that documents the layout manager. When finished it will be published in the Tutorials section of this Help Center.

Viewing post 1 to 4 (4 total posts)
Topic tags: switch, template, wine