Responsive WordPress Theme – Caliber

A theme with simple controls and limitless potential. Work fast and build an amazing website!   Find out more »

UpThemes – Beautiful WordPress Themes

Create a site your church, gallery, newspaper, blog, recipes, band and more!   See the themes »

Need a little help?  Find answers quickly by searching the forum.
Group Admins
  • jeffw
  • ljungi
  • maxleondalheimer
  • admin
Group Mods
  • malekovitch

Support for: Vellum – Responsive WordPress Theme

Vellum

Public Group  |  active 1 month, 2 weeks ago ago
Viewing post 1 to 10 (10 total posts)

I/O usage spikes in GoDaddy

• grimesgw

said

Hi there, after recently updating Vellum on a GoDaddy-hosted site, the I/O usage immediately spiked, sending the account over its limits and bringing down all of the account’s websites that have Vellum activated. I know it is theme-related, because when I deactivate the theme by renaming the folder in the file manager, the issue resolves (however, I’m left with a poorly styled site after it defaults to a different theme). Are you aware of this issue? Aware of a fix? I love the vellum theme and want to continue using it, but GoDaddy keeps saying it’s not a problem on their end (even though I know the very same theme is running on other GoDaddy and WPEngine accounts without issues).

• jeffw

said

It is difficult to believe that this is a theme issue because we know there are many hundreds of Vellum installs hosted with GoDaddy. So if there was a problem with the theme running on a GoDaddy server we would expect every Vellum user hosted with GoDaddy to be posting this issue instead of just you.

What version of the Vellum theme are you using?

• grimesgw

said

Yeah, I agree. That said, the issue resolves when I disable the theme. Any ideas on troubleshooting with them?

I’m using v1.7.5

• jeffw

said

Alas, no idea at all, I’ve never hosted a site with GoDaddy.

• grimesgw

said

Yeah, I think that’s the key issue here. I use WPEngine for all my professional sites and recommend them to clients. For personal sites, however, GODaddy has always been fine, until now. Do you have a recommendation for a better host on the same affordability scale as GoDaddy?

• jeffw

said

Mostly, cheap hosting sucks, especially for hosting WordPress sites.

Andy (the boss) tends to recommend HostGator UpThemes Hosting a lot. → https://upthemes.com/hosting/

We also like a small orange → http://asmallorange.com Update: This is just another EIG properly now like HostGator. They’re pretty much all the same quality and service under that umbrella.

• andy

said

We now have our own hosting: https://upthemes.com/hosting/

It’s guaranteed to work with our themes and it comes with all the UpThemes items included in the package. Everything is run off AWS so it’s super fast and the performance has blown my mind.

If it’s WordPress managed hosting you’re looking for, I highly recommend it. Also, with 24/7 support and knowing that we’re providing both the theme and hosting support you can be certain our products will run perfect on this environment.

• grimesgw

said

Thanks so much for the update; I’ll check them out. After a long call with GoDaddy hosting dept., we were able to determine that somehow or another the zip PHP process had been turned off. Turning it back on fixed the issue.

• andy

said

Great to know and thanks for reporting back with the solution! I’m sure that will help others.

• jeffw

said

Just goes to show, yet again, that when “GoDaddy keeps saying it’s not a problem on their end” you can’t trust them. It’s helpful to know what was causing the problem, thanks for following up.

Viewing post 1 to 10 (10 total posts)
Topic tags: GoDaddy, I/O usage