Responsive WordPress Theme – Caliber

A theme with simple controls and limitless potential. Work fast and build an amazing website!   Find out more »

UpThemes – Beautiful WordPress Themes

Create a site your church, gallery, newspaper, blog, recipes, band and more!   See the themes »

Need a little help?  Find answers quickly by searching the forum.
Group Admins
  • jeffw
  • ljungi
  • maxleondalheimer
  • admin
Group Mods
  • malekovitch

Support for: Vellum – Responsive WordPress Theme

Vellum

Public Group  |  active 1 month, 3 weeks ago ago
Viewing post 1 to 15 (26 total posts)

White screen when I use UberMenu Pro

• degtev

said

Hi, Congratulations on such a stunning theme.

I want to use ubermenu pro so I upgraded from lite. However when I activate the Ubermenu pro plugin the theme white screens. I think it’s because I have Lite as an extension in the theme and Pro running as a plugin causing a conflict.

I tried first to delete ubber menu lite from the theme extensions but that wasn’t such a clever idea as the WP control Panel also white screened.

I think I need to somehow disable UberMenu Lite before I can activate UberMenu Pro. Can you tell me what I should do please.

cheers

Andy Degtev

• andy

said

The extension being in the theme should have absolutely no impact on the plugin. Chris (SevenSpark) the author of UberMenu developed this extension himself and re-wrote the plugin specifically to allow it to override the plugin without issue. During the early phases of the development of Vellum we were using the pro version of UberMenu so it was working until a point.

My guess is there might be a conflict with some custom functions we added, or possibly the latest version of UberMenu needs some of the updates moved into the Light version. I believe I received some files from Chris some months ago and I am uncertain if I incorporated the updates into the theme so this may be my fault. I will check those emails and contact Chris to figure this out. I’m going to send him a copy of Vellum also to see if maybe he can figure it out any quicker than I can.

I’m sorry about the problem, we did intentionally design these to work together so there should never be a conflict and with our previous Moxie and Incentive themes we never had one, which leads me to believe it’s something unique to Vellum. We will figure this out and get it working. In the meantime I hope it’s not too much of an inconvenience to continue using the Light version.

• degtev

said

Thanks Andy, I’ll carry on with Light Version until you and Chris figure out the cause of the problem.

• andy

said

We might have found a solution. I’m chatting with Chris right now about the best way to implement it. We should have something for you soon.

• andy

said

Ok, here is the solution. If you can open the file extensions/ubermenu/load.php and go to line 42 you should see this code:

function theme_specific_ubermenu_options() {
      // Create class for custom Uber Menu Lite
      if( class_exists( 'UberMenuLite' ) ) {

class CustomUberMenuLite extends UberMenuLite {

public function __construct() {
            parent::__construct();
            $wp_mega_menu_settings = get_option( 'wp-mega-menu-settings' );
            $this->settings->settings = $wp_mega_menu_settings;
          }

public function set_settings( $layout_style ) {
            $this->settings->settings['wpmega-orientation'] = ( $layout_style == 'boxed-left' || $layout_style == 'full-width-left' || $layout_style == 'boxed-right' || $layout_style == 'full-width-right' ) ? 'vertical' : 'horizontal';
          }

}
      }
    }

We need to replace that with this updated code:

function theme_specific_ubermenu_options() {
      // Create class for custom Uber Menu Lite
      if( class_exists( 'UberMenuLite' ) ) {

class CustomUberMenuLite extends UberMenuLite {

}

$this->settings->settings['wpmega-orientation'] = ( $layout_style == 'boxed-left' || $layout_style == 'full-width-left' || $layout_style == 'boxed-right' || $layout_style == 'full-width-right' ) ? 'vertical' : 'horizontal';
          }

}
      } else {

class CustomUberMenuLite extends UberMenu {

}

}

}

}
    }

The cause of the problem is a method we implemented to achieve the automatic switching from the vertical to horizontal menu styles. It was referencing the UberMenu Lite version without taking into account the Pro version. This takes care of that, however it’s possible that with the latest version of UberMenu there might be some small style issues in the output of the menus. If you do see any unexpected display issue with the menus after applying this fix, please let me know so I can provide a fix.

• degtev

said

Thanks very much Andy, I’m in UK so this will be a tomorrow job. I’ll let you know if any further fixes required.

• alex2020

said

hi, ‘ have the same issue, i have replaced the code and the content appears, but the menu now is left align below the logo, i’m using full with top menu

• andy

said

@alex2020

That sounds like the potential issue I described with the style being effected. Could you post a link to your site so I can see the problem and provide an update to fix it?

• terencemilbourn

said

Andy,

This is what I see happening when the page loads ~ Fatal error: Class ‘CustomUberMenuLite’ not found in wp-contentthemesparallelus-vellumheader.php on line 161

When I implement the code you included above it loads the page without an error but the menu items are now moved over to the extreme left of the page.

I am also noticing on the inside pages that the header logo is moved to the right and overlaps the header menu.

Terence.

• andy

said

Ok, the style issue is a SUPER easy fix. Turns out we have a specific ID referenced in the style sheet that has been updated and no longer used in UberMenu (at least the Pro version). Luckily we’re only referencing this in 2 places so it’s a simple fix. Here is what you need to do:

Open the file style.css and on line 1481 you should see this code:

.boxed #MainNav #megaMenu.megaMenuHorizontal ul#megaUber, .full-width #MainNav #megaMenu.megaMenuHorizontal ul#megaUber { text-align: right; }

Update that to:

.boxed #MainNav #megaMenu.megaMenuHorizontal > ul.megaMenu, .full-width #MainNav #megaMenu.megaMenuHorizontal > ul.megaMenu { text-align: right; }

This will take care of the default horizontal masthead. There is one other CSS file making reference to the same ID which you can update if you are using Skin 5. If you’re not using this skin you could just wait for the next theme update to be released. To update this skin, open the file style-skin-5.css and go to line 173 where you should see the code:

.boxed #MainNav #megaMenu.megaMenuHorizontal ul#megaUber, .full-width #MainNav #megaMenu.megaMenuHorizontal ul#megaUber { text-align: left; }

Update this line to:

.boxed #MainNav #megaMenu.megaMenuHorizontal > ul.megaMenu, .full-width #MainNav #megaMenu.megaMenuHorizontal > ul.megaMenu { text-align: left; }

I’ve already updated the code for this and it will be in the next theme update so you can safely make these changes without worrying about losing them when you update the theme.

If you notice any other issues with the UberMenu styles or functionality please let me know. Thanks.

• terencemilbourn

said

Many thanks, That fixed the horizontal menu, but what about the top vertical menu which is still slammed to the left?

• andy

said

@terencemilbourn

Sorry, I missed that. Here’s the fix, in style.css on line 209 you’ll see:

#MainNav #megaMenu { position: static; }

Update that to:

#MainNav #megaMenu { position: static; width: 100%; }
  • terencemilbourn

said

No problem. That fixed it.

So not only an awesome theme, but awesome support too.

Many thanks, Andy, for both.

Viewing post 1 to 15 (26 total posts)