Responsive WordPress Theme – Caliber

A theme with simple controls and limitless potential. Work fast and build an amazing website!   Find out more »

UpThemes – Beautiful WordPress Themes

Create a site your church, gallery, newspaper, blog, recipes, band and more!   See the themes »

Need a little help?  Find answers quickly by searching the forum.
Group Admins
  • jeffw
  • andy

Support for: Mingle – Multi-purpose WordPress Theme

Mingle (WordPress)

Public Group  |  active 7 months, 1 week ago ago
Viewing post 1 to 7 (7 total posts)

How do I write the code below to narrow to the parent ID?

• marloniai

said

GOAL: To use the POST content for RECENT NEWS
    I attempted the url link instructions below:
    http://para.llel.us/support/groups/mingle-wordpress/forum/topic/setting-up-recent-news-feed-for-skin-2-home-page/

APPEARANCE > Design > Add New Sidebar
    1. Name: Post Sidebar
    2. Shortcode: [sidebar alias="post-sidebar" ]

My issue is I went to POST > ALL POST >
    hovered over the desired post to get the ID “534, 524, 531″ to paste directly in the below code on the HOME PAGE

Since I am using information that I went to POST > ALL POSTS and NOT from POST > CATEGORY
    How do I write the code below to narrow to the Parent ID from the POST because what I have below is not working to give me the results of Skin 2

[blog post_type=”page” post_parent=”2682″ images=”true” image_width=”40″ image_height=”40″ post_content=”excerpt” excerpt_length=”23″ show_date=”false” author_link=”false” comments_link=”false” show_category_list=”false” show_tag_list=”false” posts_per_page=”3″ paging=”false” orderby=”date” order=”desc”

• jeffw

said

I’m sorry, I always have extreme difficulty understanding your posts.

The shortcode you have posted will display all pages which have the page with the ID 2682 set as their parent page. You will need to change that ID number to suit your specific situation.

The [blog] shortcode is fully documented here → http://para.llel.us/themes/mingle-wp/shortcodes/blog/

• marloniai

said

I am looking for step by step instructions on how to create the identical Recent News as shown in skin 2
    - What is the exact code on skin 2 that is written in the “Text Widget”

a. First I went to Appearance > Design Settings > Sidebar then I created a sidebar and named it Post Sidebar
    in which the shortcode is this [sidebar alias="post-sidebar"]
    b. Second I went to Appearance > Widgets > dragged a Text widget under the newly created sidebar named Post
    Sidebar
    c. Third I posted on the Home Page the new sidebar shortcode under the Recent News text
    d. Inside the Text widget content I pasted the following code below: [sidebar alias="post-sidebar"]

[blog post_type=”938” post_parent=”936″ images=”true” image_width=”40″ image_height=”40″ post_content=”excerpt” excerpt_length=”23″ show_date=”false” author_link=”false” comments_link=”false” show_category_list=”false” show_tag_list=”false” posts_per_page=”3″ paging=”false” orderby=”date” order=”desc”

Page for my Recent News:
    Portfolio is the parent page and the ID number for that page is: 936
    – Gallery is the sub directory page and the ID number for that page is: 938

Jeff the code below what do I need to do in order for it to work on my home page?
    [blog post_type=”938” post_parent=”936″ images=”true” image_width=”40″ image_height=”40″ post_content=”excerpt” excerpt_length=”23″ show_date=”false” author_link=”false” comments_link=”false” show_category_list=”false” show_tag_list=”false” posts_per_page=”3″ paging=”false” orderby=”date” order=”desc”

• jeffw

said

The shortcode you posted above, i.e. this…

[blog post_type="938" post_parent="936" images="true" image_width="40" image_height="40" post_content="excerpt" excerpt_length="23" show_date="false" author_link="false" comments_link="false" show_category_list="false" show_tag_list="false" posts_per_page="3" paging="false" orderby="date" order="desc"

...is incorrect for two reasons...

- The post_type attribute is set to 938 when the only value acceptable for this attribute is page.
         - There is no closing square bracket (]) on the end of the shortcode.

When those errors are corrected, that shortcode will display all pages which have the page with the ID 936 set as their parent page.

The [blog] shortcode is fully documented here → http://para.llel.us/themes/mingle-wp/shortcodes/blog/

• marloniai

said

Can you write what it should look like, so I can understand fully?
    [blog post_type=”Gallery” post_parent=”936″ images=”true” image_width=”40″ image_height=”40″ post_content=”excerpt” excerpt_length=”23″ show_date=”false” author_link=”false” comments_link=”false” show_category_list=”false” show_tag_list=”false” posts_per_page=”3″ paging=”false” orderby=”date” order=”desc"]

• marloniai

said

I watched and followed this video and I am still not seeing the Recent News info placed under its text as shown in skin 2 http://para.llel.us/video/theme-features-blog. Could there be an issue with the theme? The only thing I can see is the title of from the text widget NEWS.

Can you rewrite the first portion in order for me to understand what goes where “page” should I write the ID number or the actual page name “Portfolio” since it is the parent page or should I use the child page name since this is where the information needed is in the “gallery” or leave it as is “page”. I tried all three ways and it did not return any results.

• jeffw

said
    [blog post_type="page" post_parent="936" images="true" image_width="40" image_height="40" post_content="excerpt" excerpt_length="23" show_date="false" author_link="false" comments_link="false" show_category_list="false" show_tag_list="false" posts_per_page="3" paging="false" orderby="date" order="desc"]

That shortcode will display all pages which have the page with the ID 936 set as their parent page.

There is no bug in the theme’s [blog] shortcode, I tested the above shortcode on my Mingle sandbox site and it works.

Your problem may be caused by the fact that there are curly “smart” quotes in the shortcode you have posted. Make sure all the quote characters in shortcodes are ordinary quote characters like this → "

This is one of the reasons why we tell you to follow the instructions on the forum home page if you want to include code in your posts such as shortcodes, HTML, CSS, JavaScript, PHP, and so on. I’ve told you to do this a dozen times or more now and if you can’t be arsed to do that, it’s your lookout. It ain’t rocket science to wrap your code in <pre> and </pre> tags.

Viewing post 1 to 7 (7 total posts)