Responsive WordPress Theme – Caliber

A theme with simple controls and limitless potential. Work fast and build an amazing website!   Find out more »

UpThemes – Beautiful WordPress Themes

Create a site your church, gallery, newspaper, blog, recipes, band and more!   See the themes »

Need a little help?  Find answers quickly by searching the forum.
Group Admins
  • jeffw
  • andy

Support for: Mingle – Multi-purpose WordPress Theme

Mingle (WordPress)

Public Group  |  active 1 week ago ago
Viewing post 1 to 15 (19 total posts)

Setting up Recent News feed like the skin 2 demo home page

• jgiroux

said

I’ve created a new sidebar that has the same alias as below but how do I get it to display images and look the same as the one on Skin #2? How do I limit it to the recent-news category only?

<h2>Recent News</h2>
    [sidebar alias="skin-2-home-page-widget" ]
    [/one_half_last]
  • jeffw

said

Go to Appearance > Widgets and drag a text widget into the Skin 2 Home Page Widget area that you created.

In the text widget use a [blog] shortcode for your content:

[blog category="999" images="true" image_width="40" image_height="40" post_content="excerpt" excerpt_length="23" show_date="false" author_link="false" comments_link="false" show_category_list="false" show_tag_list="false" posts_per_page="3" paging="false" orderby="date" order="desc"]

Save the text widget, and that’s it.

I have used the category ID “999″ in the above shortcode, you must replace this with whatever is the ID for your recent news category.

P.S. Instructions for including code in posts are here: http://para.llel.us/support/groups/mingle-wordpress/home/

• inkwellcreative

said

Hi JeffW,

I have a follow-up question to this. I imported a blog from blogspot into WordPress (there are 37 posts in this import). I then set up my home page layout for skin 2 and set up the recent news area – this works. My only problem is that it only shows 1 post in the feed (instead of 3) and it shows the first post ever, not the most recent. Would this have anything to do with the ID number? Or would you be able to resolve this detail? Happy to supply any other information you would need. Thank you!

• jeffw

said

Sounds like GIGO to me. Change the [blog] shortcode to use category="" temporarily, this will include all categories and you should then see three posts, as defined in the shortcode. You then need to find out what the category ID is for all these posts that you imported and feed this ID to the category attribute.

• staeven

said

I’m having trouble setting the specific categories for my latest posts. I only want one category to show up. In various places.

I have categories set up as words, not numbers. I enter the slug, in between blog category=”enter slug here” but they don’t show up.

What am I overlooking?

• jeffw

said

@staeven You need to enter category ID numbers, not slugs. Go to Posts > Categories and hover your mouse pointer over the category in question. Look in the status bar, you will see a parameter in the URL that begins tag_ID=. The number after the equals sign is the category ID number.

• staeven

said

OMW. I did not know this, thank you. I’m smart now, thanks!

• staeven

said

Crap. I entered 72 into the “formula” above and nothings showing up. Hmm.

• staeven

said

Ah. Wait–I’ve got it setup so that its a main parent category with sub categories. Is there a special way to make that happen? The assumption is that putting the parent would also include the “babies.” This apparently is not so.

• jeffw

said

You will need to feed the category attribute a comma separated list of category IDs.

• jeffw

said

@suresh

The answer to your question is in my original reply in this topic:

http://para.llel.us/support/groups/mingle-wordpress/forum/topic/setting-up-recent-news-feed-for-skin-2-home-page/#post-18523

So you use that [blog] shortcode in the content for a sidebar, then you use the [sidebar] shortcode in your home page content.

If you do not understand something in that reply, please explain exactly what it is that you do not understand about that reply and I will try to explain.

N.B. Please do not ask questions within screenshots, and please start a fresh topic for each separate issue that you have.

• suresh

said

Hi,

i have tried the code. It works fine. But need the recent news look like http://para.llel.us/themes/mingle-wp/home-page-samples/home-page-skin-2/

Please have look of mine http://mingle.linkstreetsore.com/v2/

I used

[blog category="10" images="true" image_width="40" image_height="40" post_content="excerpt" excerpt_length="23" show_date="false" author_link="false" comments_link="false" show_category_list="false" show_tag_list="false" posts_per_page="3" paging="false" orderby="date" order="desc"] 

Whats wrong in that? and Whats the shortcode for that?

Thanks

Suresh

• jeffw

said

The [blog] shortcode has two different styles, the normal style and the more compact style, of which there is an example on the demo webiste with the skin 2 demo home page. To get the [blog] shortcode to use the more compact style you need to use it in a sidebar area (via a text widget) and then include that sidebar area in your content, either via the layout manager or directly in your content using a [sidebar] shortcode.

Viewing post 1 to 15 (19 total posts)
Topic tags: mingle, recent news, sidebar, skin2