Responsive WordPress Theme – Caliber

A theme with simple controls and limitless potential. Work fast and build an amazing website!   Find out more »

UpThemes – Beautiful WordPress Themes

Create a site your church, gallery, newspaper, blog, recipes, band and more!   See the themes »

Need a little help?  Find answers quickly by searching the forum.
Group Admins
  • andy
  • jeffw
  • admin

Support for: Moxie – Responsive Theme for WordPress

Moxie

Public Group  |  active 3 days, 23 hours ago ago
Viewing post 1 to 7 (7 total posts)

Moxie upgrade – full width backgrounds

• andy

said

I’ve completed all of the work for adding full width backgrounds and parallax effects to Moxie. You can see examples of what it looks like on our Incentive theme here:

http://para.llel.us/themes/incentive-wp/
    http://para.llel.us/themes/incentive-wp/parallax/
    http://para.llel.us/themes/incentive-wp/parallax-full-width-design/

The code is written and the functionality is ready to be ported to Moxie. There is however an issue related to existing installs that I’ll need some feedback on before I can complete the update.

The change to the Layout Manager is substantial. It now uses a dynamic field builder for creating the header and footer options, something I was very excited about integrating into Runway from the start but it took time to develop. Because this was not ready when Moxie was built I predicted some backwards compatibility issues might emerge. I need your feedback for the way you would like me to proceed with the update. There are two scenarios.

Scenario one, we don’t worry about old installs and integrate the Layout Manager exactly as it’s designed. If we go this way it is very likely you will need to open each header/footer created and save the options for it again. This means setting the slide show, header content, background colors, etc. It will only apply to headers and footers (well, and the two settings on the right of each layout for skins and boxed/fluid) but not anywhere else in the theme. Most sites do not have a lot of layouts so I didn’t think this would be a major issue, however I would not go this direction unless there was a consensus among users that it would be ok with them.

Scenario two, we write some data conversion functions that will detect the update of the Layout Manager and port the old layout data into the new format. This gets a bit complicated because we’ve rewritten most all of the structure for layouts, but it can be done. The downside to doing this is it will take longer. The upside to it is that nobody will have to redo any work and you’ll maintain 100% backwards compatibility.

So please cast your vote here and let me know what you prefer. I could also possibly release the new version as dual release, making the update without data conversion available first and then later releasing the backwards compatible update when it becomes ready. That is an option and I would consider it something acceptable since it’s wouldn’t take any extra time.

Thanks everyone!

• melisse

said

1 vote for dual release. Sounds good to me! Thanks

• sturader

said

I’ll take the upgrade “as is” if to get this done quicker. We use only one or two headers at most. Footers are always constant.

Can’t wait to see how parallax can be used!

• sandie

said

I’m voting for the quicker delivery, and would like to state my appreciation that you’ve bothered to ask us. I don’t get that level of consideration everywhere I’m a customer :-)

• jeffw

said

I vote for a data conversion function because this will put less pressure on your support team. :mrgreen:

• sturader

said

Ok, I’m with @jeffw now :P – I am in no rush whatsoever, Moxie is superb and working extremely well for us.

Viewing post 1 to 7 (7 total posts)