Responsive WordPress Theme – Caliber

A theme with simple controls and limitless potential. Work fast and build an amazing website!   Find out more »

UpThemes – Beautiful WordPress Themes

Create a site your church, gallery, newspaper, blog, recipes, band and more!   See the themes »

Need a little help?  Find answers quickly by searching the forum.
Group Admins
  • andy
  • jeffw

Support for: Razor: Cutting Edge WordPress Theme

Razor

Public Group  |  active 1 year, 9 months ago ago
Viewing post 1 to 12 (12 total posts)

Blog post breadcrumbs

• queendigital

said

Hi,

When navigating to read a Post, the breadcrumbs shows as:

Home > Blog > Blog > News > My Test post1

I have not set “Blog” anywhere, why would it appear in the breadcrumbs? “News” is the correct page as this is what was set as the “Blog” page via the Settings >>> Reading section

Any ideas?

• jeffw

said

Hi, queendigital.

In Settings > Reading you must have the Front page displays option set to Your latest posts. You then control the design and content of your home page via the Razor layout manager. To create a separate blog page you simply create a new page and use the [blog] shortcode on it with appropriate attributes. This is the way Razor works. If you do it the way you are doing (with your front page set to a static page) then you will continue to experience various issues.

We made a video that shows you how to set up a blog page: http://para.llel.us/video/theme-features-blog

And also one that teaches you how to use the layout manager: http://para.llel.us/video/theme-features-layout-manager

When using the [breadcrumbs] shortcode I always use the full set of attributes:

[breadcrumbs home="Home" blog="The name of my blog" sep=">" blogpageid="1234" prefix="" archiveprefix="" searchprefix="" boldlast="1" catinpostpath="1"]

I think it’s always a good idea to use the full set of attributes so that you get exactly what you want rather than what the shortcode defaults to, plus it helps to avoid confusion. The above shortcode would produce a breadcrumb like this:

Home > The name of my blog > [The category name] > [The title of the post]

The anchor text “The name of my blog” would be linked to the WordPress page whose ID number is 1234. You’ll need to change the blogpageid value so that it links to the blog page you created, the one on which you have used a [blog] shortcode on it with appropriate attributes.

References:
    http://para.llel.us/themes/razor-wp/shortcodes/miscellaneous/
    http://para.llel.us/themes/razor-wp/shortcodes/blog/

• queendigital

said

Thank Jeff.

This all works fine.
    I have set now the Reading >>> Your latest posts

Still, when viewing a specific post the breadcrumbs shows:

Home > Blog > News > my post title

Where is the word “Blog” feeds from? also, my permalink are set to %postname% so theoretically it should only be:

Home > my post title

Thanks,
    Dan.

• jeffw

said

HI, Dan.

The [breadcrumbs] shortcode is not related in any way to the WordPress permalinks, it is a totally separate thing. If you don’t provide a value for the blog attribute then it defaults to the word “Blog”.

In your breadcrumb example, the “News” text is the category name. You can set the shortcode attributes so that the category name is omitted and then name your blog “News”.

[breadcrumbs home="Home" blog="News" sep=">" blogpageid="1234" prefix="" archiveprefix="" searchprefix="" boldlast="1" catinpostpath="0"]

The above shortcode would result in a breadcrumb like this:

Home > News > my post title

Don’t forget to set the blogpageid value to the actual ID number of your actual blog page, the one on which you have used a [blog] shortcode on it with appropriate attributes.

• queendigital

said

Jeff,

at present my “Blog” page is named “News” (slug and title), in it i have inserted:

[blog category="28" style="1" posts_per_page="5" paging="false" image_width="210" image_height="190" excerpt_length="50" read_more="read more" show_category_list="false" orderby="date"]

That’s it,

From there it displays my posts, and once i click a post i get the breadcrumbs (i didn’t insert the breadcrumbs shortcode anywhere)

This is why im a bit confused with your above suggestion.

Dan.

• jeffw

said

Hi, Dan.

If there is a question in your last post then I can’t spot it.

• jeffw

said

Is it that you can’t see where to modify the [breadcrumbs] shortcode? If so, look in Static Content > Static Blocks at the static block entitled “Breadcrumbs”. Several of the layouts (Appearance > Layouts) include a container at the top of the content area that references this static block.

• queendigital

said

Thanks Jeff, yes now it was made clear to me that the [breadcrumbs] are controlled from the content blocks.

I have used your example above:
    [breadcrumbs home="Home" blog="News" sep=">" blogpageid="1234" prefix="" archiveprefix="" searchprefix="" boldlast="1" catinpostpath="0"]

it works fine only now i lost the “>” signs .

So it looks like this: Home News my post title
    instead of : Home > News > my post title

thoughts?

• jeffw

said

You can set the separator with the sep attribute.

I’ve tested the code I posted above …

http://para.llel.us/support/groups/razor/forum/topic/blog-post-breadcrumbs/#post-45190

… and it works fine, separator and all.

Don’t forget to set the blogpageid value to the actual ID number of your actual blog page, the one on which you have used a [blog] shortcode on it with appropriate attributes.

Make sure that you are not putting smart (curly) quotes around attribute values, and always stick to using the Text editor when your content includes shortcodes.

N.B. To include code in your posts – such as shortcodes, HTML, CSS, JavaScript, PHP – please follow the instructions on the forum home page. The reason why you should always do this is because otherwise WordPress will turn the quotes in your code into curly quotes and then anyone copying and pasting that code will have issues because you can’t use curly quotes in code.

• queendigital

said

Spot on! it was indded the issue with pasting to the visual editor.

Thank a lot Jeff!

Dan.

• tobiasweltner

said

I had the very same problem with multiple “blog” entries, and yes I changed the landing page to a static page.
    What I *must* do is set the landing page to the Activities page. Is there a way to achieve this without a static page?

• jeffw

said

HI, tobiasweltner.

Your question has nothing at all to do with the subject of this topic. Please start a new topic for this new question you asked. We like to keep each topic in the Help Center focused on a single subject. It really helps other users to find information and it prevents threads from wandering down Tangent Lane. If you don’t mind, please always create a new topic for each separate issue that you have.

Viewing post 1 to 12 (12 total posts)
Topic tags: blog, breadcrumbs