Responsive WordPress Theme – Caliber

A theme with simple controls and limitless potential. Work fast and build an amazing website!   Find out more »

UpThemes – Beautiful WordPress Themes

Create a site your church, gallery, newspaper, blog, recipes, band and more!   See the themes »

Need a little help?  Find answers quickly by searching the forum.
Group Admins
  • andy
  • jeffw

Support for: Salutation: WordPress + BuddyPress Theme

Salutation (WordPress)

Public Group  |  active 4 years, 5 months ago ago
Viewing post 1 to 15 (23 total posts)

Salutation v2.0 – BETA

• andy

said

NOTE: The full Salutation v2.0 is now available for download. See the release thread for details:
    http://para.llel.us/support/groups/salutation-wordpress/forum/topic/salutation-v2-0/

We’ve been working day and night to get a new release ready and we are just about there. The development is complete and now we just need to get it field tested. Once that’s done we can release Salutation v2.0! This version has a ton of bug fixes but most importantly we focused on plugin compatibility.

New Template Engine
    The update has a brand new template engine for managing the loading of template files and applying layouts. The interface is the same, nothing new to learn. The structure is improved to use the WP native file naming and folder structure. No more duplicate files or “template-{$context}.php” files needed. These things are done automatically by the theme and now instantly recognizes Custom Post Types and Taxonomy files!

Improved Static Blocks
    We have also improved Static Blocks to avoid the duplicate content in headers and footers without the need for filters. This greatly improves integration with plugins so your layouts work as expected.

Layouts Assigned to Plugin Pages
    And… another great new feature. The theme now detects template files for plugins and makes them available to assign layouts. This is specific to plugins using Custom Post Types. Once the theme detects the new Custom Post Type it will add a new select option in the “Appearance > Layouts” page. This way you aren’t stuck with all your plugins loading the Default Layout. Instead you can customize the appearance. This works for most plugins using Custom Post Types.

Layouts for Custom Template Files
    And for the more advanced users. If you create custom template files in your theme folder for your own page templates, category pages, archives, taxonomies, etc. you can register these new files in the “functions.php” file and this will also allow them to be available for setting layouts in the admin. The application of this that I see most useful is users needing different layouts for different categories. That can be accomplished now with just a few lines of code in the themes folder and no complex inserting of admin options across multiple files like before.

Start using Salutation v2.0 (beta) now!

The beta is available on an individual request basis currently. We recommend this for anyone currently having trouble with a plugin, experiencing bugs or other errors. We also recommend it for anyone about to start using Salutation.

If you are already running a customized version of Salutation or your site is running fine you should probably wait for the final release. There will be some instructions needed for updating sites with modified template files and this information will be included with the final release.

All that said… If you would like to give Salutation v2.0 a try please send an email to support@parallelus.net and let us know. We’ll send you the files and you can get started.

• walmarandrade

said

Hello Andy,

Nice to hear about 2.0 version. I´m using Salutation at http://www.mude.nu (with some modifications on my own child theme)

I´m having trouble on using Buddypress with Wordpress SEO Yoast plugin. I´m pretty sure this is the best SEO plugin for Wordpress, but it mess with the new Buddypress titles. In other words, if you install Wordpress SEO Yoast plugin, all Budypress groups on Salutation shares the same title tag.

So, I hope the new version of Salutation can handle that.

If you already know a solution, please let me know.

Good work! Keep walking and sorry for my bad english (I´m brazilian).

• mushin

said

@walmarandrade I like what you did for your site! Can you tell me how you got rid of the top tab on the homepage and put the facebook log in button on the top right corner? Thanks!

• Steve

said

Hi all, if you have issue related to the current version of Salutation, please open a new thread. This thread is for Salutation 2.0 only.

@walmarandrade – it’s my understanding that this is related to how the supplied BuddyPress templates handle titles. It won’t be something specific to Salutation. I expect it will be resolved with BuddyPress 1.7. Please open a new thread if you’d like to continue discussion. If you’re looking for a good SEO plugin, try SEO Ultimate – I use it myself.

• ashenkar

said

That’s great to hear – any estimate when the beta should go into live production?

• jefffree

said

I have a Salutation 2.0 question…

Will I be able to use ie. Pippin’s Easy Custom Content Types plugin without touching any code? (There is currently a method here on the forum that explains the modification of certain php files.)

• prokoudine

said

OK, so will v2.0 make it possible to assign a fullsize layout to all bbPress pages?

And most importantly, do you have plans to make v2.0 a responsive theme?

• andy

said

@prokoudine

Yes, you can assign layouts to bbPress with v2.

No, we have not added responsive design features in this update. I do not have time to work on that currently so it is out of the question for this update. It’s easily a 3 week or more job. That means me doing absolutely nothing else for almost a month just to add the responsive functionality. If it can be added at some point in the future I will try.

• 49ideas

said

@andy,

I’ve been testing out v2. It’s looking really good so far – thank you! I’m following the conversation on Themeforest with all the recent questions about “responsiveness”… and I saw your comment about making it an option in admin panel. This would be really cool, as I have never seen another theme give the option for this. I have been on the fence for awhile about this myself, and the debate over responsive or separate theme has never been bigger. I like the idea of responsiveness because there is better continuity and branding, but the idea of serving up an entire desktop to a mobile user seems like a nightmare (the loading and all the scrolling) – Think conditional loading:

http://24ways.org/2011/conditional-loading-for-responsive-designs

Here are a few thoughts, if it’s possible for you to give an option to enable responsiveness in admin as you say, would it be possible to enable sitewide, and have the option to disable on a post/page basis? This would be nice for certain cases. Also, if that is possible, couldn’t you not have an option for the user to “switch to desktop” view in the footer, similar to how WPTouch does it?

Salutation and Mingle have to be one of the most flexible and customizable themes on the market, which is why I love them so much. With that said, a mobile optimized version has to be one of the few drawbacks and would love to see this worked on – but done well (that’s the thing, not a lot of themes do it very well).

I’m excited for the future of your framework, I for one would like to contribute to the cause of making a mobile version of Salutation. I would like to pledge $$$ to that effort. Are there any others who would like contribute to this project?

• fitnessblogger

said

Hi @49ideas @andy,

Just got the beta last night so having a play in my staging area at the moment…. I would also be keen to look at a mobile version and agree I would be willing to look at pledging $$$ too :)

Thanks Guys

James

• kryvulena

said

I’m really impressed with the forthcoming update of the theme. I have a question regarding custom templates/CPT. I have created a few files like template-[context].php. Will I be still able to use them after the upgrade or I will have to convert or replace them somehow? I just wonder should I continue my current site development or I better wait a bit for the update and then to continue my work?

P.S. @walmarandrade

Maybe it’s a good idea to drop a feature request to BuddyPress’ authors to let them know about the issue. I also encountered the same.

• 49ideas

said

anyone else having problems with padding in mobile (I’ve tried iphone and ipad)? It seems that there is a horizontal scroll that shouldn’t be there.

• prokoudine

said

Looks like in this version you fixed the fancy editor issue for bbPress and changed icons size in the meta box to a smaller one. That’s very much appreciated.

I’m still kinda uncomfortable with the way longer blog titles mix with “Comment” like here:

http://i.imgur.com/rxIpB.png

I also don’t seem to be able to use custom background images. Doesn’t matter which type of repeating I set, they only get rendered once. There’s no caching enabled (yet). It was like this with the current stable version of the theme.

Viewing post 1 to 15 (23 total posts)